Kits. Midwest, Northern Brewer or BB??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flabyboy

Reaction score
So I am looking at ordering somemore kits. Damn this is an addictive hobby. Which companies have the best reputation for quality kits? My local store only has Brewers Best. I am looking at Northern Brewer and Midwest for some different options.

Have only ever used Midwest's Kits (after the one Brewers Best I tried from the LHBS first). They say they are "The King of Kits," and I have always had a very good experience brewing with their kits, and they have a very good selection.

I'm sure others can chime in with opinions on NB.

I've used NB's recipes (as well as buying the ingredients there) but never the kits. I brewed many Midwest kits when I was starting out and had great luck with them.

Ive done about 6 NB kits and I really like them. I have nothing but good things to say about NorthernBrewer.

I've brewed kits from Midwest, Northern Brewer, More Beer, and Brewer's Best and they all make good beer. But, my favorite place is Austin Homebrew Supply, they seem to have the largest selection and the beer has always turned out great.

+1 on More Beer. They have a Pliny the Elder kit designed by Vinnie from Russian River and the Ale Industries Rye'd Piper is a great beer.

Well, i have only tried brewers best kits, and i have only run across one (oatmeal stout) that i wasnt happy with. Id say try them all, then use whats best for you (you will only have more beer, and whats wrong with that:)

I wouldn't hesitate to go with any mentioned, but I have only brewed a few batches and thus far have been extremely happy with Northern Brewer.

I've brewed a lot of Midwest kits. Ive had a lot of success, well to be honest theyve all been great! I think their shipping dept knows my address by heart. But I am going to try a few Austin kits next before my all grain transition.

From what I've read I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any of the kits from reputable home brew sites.

I like northern brewer because they post the ingredients on their site.

I have used Northern Brewer and Midwest. They were both good and I suspect that Austin Homebrew has good kits as well. I would price out similar kits from all 3 and see which one is cheaper. For me it has always been Midwest. If one has a kit you can't get at the other 2, the choice is easy. I typically order kits in 3's.

when I started this hobby earlier this year, I was in a tiny town two hours from an LHBS; did some research, settled on Midwest based on price and reviews of some of the kits I was interested in. On each kit you can download/preview the instructions in PDF format including recommended secondary time; good to know if you want to brew ahead for events. Shipping has always been within a few days and at cost (no hidden handling fees). My preference, of course. . .

I have used both NB and BB kits and been very happy with both. If I had to pick one I would give a slight edge to NB.

I have used all of these brands before and have had goo luck with each. I tend to favor NB and Austin HBS due to their high quality of ingredients and lower shipping charges.

Me too. When I did mostly PM brewing, I went through AHS' kits like crazy! They are well made, fresh, and have very clear instructions. They also have hundreds and hundreds to choose from.

I like NB's style kits, and have used them, but they don't have the "clone kits" or the choices that AHS has. I like Midwest for their wine ingredients, but never bought beer kits from them.

I did the Brewers Best Imperial Russian Stout and it is some potent stuff. Good beer all around. I haven't tried the other kits. I did one of Coopers (English Bitters) and was not fond of it. I have been doing partial mash since I can get liquid and dried malt extract from the local brew supply store

I have used Northern Brewer and Midwest. They were both good and I suspect that Austin Homebrew has good kits as well. I would price out similar kits from all 3 and see which one is cheaper. For me it has always been Midwest. If one has a kit you can't get at the other 2, the choice is easy. I typically order kits in 3's.

The prices homebrew store charge is based on the ingredients. So, it is not really a comparison because the recipes are different.

Forrest

How about a chemical free beer.personally i prefer mine without poison.Seven Bridges Cooperative.A nobel direction for shure.

Last time I looked at AHS they didn't list the types of hops included in the kits. I'm not saying they need to go as far as NB and post the whole recipe but I would at least like to know what kind of hops are included in the kits. That is the main reason I never used them even though all the reviews are great.

Last time I looked at AHS they didn't list the types of hops included in the kits. I'm not saying they need to go as far as NB and post the whole recipe but I would at least like to know what kind of hops are included in the kits. That is the main reason I never used them even though all the reviews are great.

We will gladly tell you what is in any kit, you just have to ask. We have the most kits and most award winning kits. If you read the reviews on our web site you will see that we have the best kits.

I just don't want our website to be the recipe database for other homebrew stores. Also, if the recipes are posted, people just take the recipe to their local place to be filled. I develop the recipes and I would like people to buy my recipe from me at least once. The instructions have full disclosure. Then when you love the recipe, you can buy the ingredients anywhere you like. Sounds reasonable right?

Forrest

I would like to see a little more detail about the recipe on the Austin website, especially directions or steps. Level of difficulty. I don't need thes specific hops or malt types I just ordered the honey hefe and surly furious clone from Northern Brewer. Give them a try and then look to do a batch of Samuel Smith Oatmeal stout from Austin another time

I would like to see a little more detail about the recipe on the Austin website, especially directions or steps. Level of difficulty. I don't need thes specific hops or malt types I just ordered the honey hefe and surly furious clone from Northern Brewer. Give them a try and then look to do a batch of Samuel Smith Oatmeal stout from Austin another time

They are all easy to do. All grain is more difficult.

I'll be buying a kit or two from you guys soon enough. Like all the options

The prices homebrew store charge is based on the ingredients. So, it is not really a comparison because the recipes are different.

Forrest

I have also priced out ingredients and you guys didn't come out ahead either. I will keep looking at you guys but so far no dice. $16.74 for 6lbs LME vs $14.50 at Midwest. $.50 more per ounce of hops than Midwest.(although in the future if I order bulk hops I would go with Farmhouse Brewing Supply) $.40 per lb of grains. Maybe once I switch to all grain I will give you guys some business. Maybe you have superior kits. I have been very happy with Midwest and all the $.50 here, $2 there adds up to being more expensive even with cheaper shipping. I would even go with Midwest if they came out a little higher(under $5) because I get things from them quick. Usually within a couple days.

Now if we are talking clone kits, AHS hands down, but again you can come up with clone recipes on the internet and buy the ingredients.

little info about Midwest.... yeah they have cheaper prices, but shipping is through the roof. for a kit with 6 gallon BB and bottling bucket. shipping was close to $46 thus brining the price way up..

I made a phone call to see if they would price match Brew Masters Warehouse or Austin Home brew. I was told to kick rocks they aren't going to price match anyone. they are 20% lower any anyone every day of the week and if i dont like it go else where.

I was tempted to ask for a manager, but figured it wasn't worth my time and I'd spend my money else where. I have a starter kit arriving tomorrow from Brew Masters Warehouse.

MidWest will NEVER get any of my business from here on out.

-=Jason=-

I don't blame you. They have to ship much further than they do for me. That same order would have probably only cost $19 to ship to me. Shipping always has to be figured in when you order.

I work for a large company and know what we pay for UPS vs what UPS.com says it should cost. if you're shipping a lot every day your going to get a pretty good discount. so to charge what Fed-Ex.com says its going to cost is well making a few bucks off shipping as well.

example ups.com says $28, but we get billed $4.46

-=Jason=-

okay, but it's still free for orders over $100 at AHS....

I don't care what UPS charges AHS, I just know it's free for me.

okay, but it's still free for orders over $100 at AHS....

I don't care what UPS charges AHS, I just know it's free for me.

oh yeah thats why MidWest is black listed for me. they aren't competitive when it comes to shipping $100 plus = Free or flat rate of $7.99 still way better than $46.

-=Jason=-

Hey Jason - you're in Chino?!?!?! Haven't been there in awhile!

yeah there is a Home brew shop about to open in Prescott. called Mile Hi Brewing. they are going to allow you to brew in the shop and take it home or some thing like that.

I can't wait to brew my first batch of Hefeweizen

-=jason=-

Latest posts

Back