Im full of questions tonight..this one envolves brettanomyces.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColonelForbin

Reaction score
involves

could i pick out a carboy for brett beers only and swirl around the dregs of an orval or two and pitch it into the wort with my yeast starter or a few days after pitching saccharomyces? i think i remember hearing that it is best to wait until fermentation is coming to an end. If i do this will i run any risk of cross contamination?

have a set of brett only fermentors. make sure your mash/boil are SS. then harvest brett any way you'd like (from the bottle, wine staves, whitelabs, etc.). are you trying to achieve something super specific, or only worried about infection?

have a set of brett only fermentors. make sure your mash/boil are SS. then harvest brett any way you'd like (from the bottle, wine staves, whitelabs, etc.). are you trying to achieve something super specific, or only worried about infection?

SS? mainly worried about cross contamination. was thinking i could pitch the dregs directly from orval bottles since i have four orvals in my fridge and am brewing for the next two days. i want to pitch brett into my belgian pale ale. will it work to pitch straight from the bottle?

SS == Stainless Steel, i.e. you can really, truly, absolutely make sure that no bugs survive to the next batch :D

considering that when i've talked to commercial wine makers and they complain about their inability to remove brett infestations from certain parts of their procedures, i'd imagine it will work. will it work well? can't say, since i've never tried it. i guess that leaves us with You putting on your SuperScientist hat and doing some Experiments--in the name of Science! :)

Back