Sour Stout Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgardner6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to make a sour stout, but I have some questions about the hops. First off I was going to use aged hops, but I started reading about it and ran into articles saying that lambics are really the only sour beers with aged hops. Therefore I will be using unaged hops useless I'm incorrect. I was wondering if I should keep my IBU level lower than the average stout? As far as AA% levels go should I stay with lower AA% hops or does it really matter? If I remember correctly my regular stout recipe was in the higher 40's IBU range useing Magnum and Mt. Hood.

What do you plan on using for souring? Brett, Lacto, Pedio etc. I would cap your IBUs at around 30 and you'd be fine to move it down to about 20. How big of a stout are you making, recipe?
The stout I made back in December is about 31 IBUs and an OG of 1.082. It's been souring for a while now and it doesn't seem like it's having too much trouble. Lacto hates IBUs above 10, but Brett and Pedio seem not to have any problems. Good luck!

I would use any hops that you want, but keep the IBU's super low and dont have flavor/aroma additions.

If you do want hop aroma and flavor go with earthy hops, not citrusy or piney.

my $.02

I'm doing a sour cherry chocolate stout in September. I'm keeping the IBU's around 25 and using unaged hops. No need to use aged ones for this kind of brew IMHO. I'm aiming at 1.055 or so.

Back