Steam Beer Bottle Conditioning???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rauchbier

Reaction score
I bottled my steam beer (my first homebrew) a week ago. The batch was able to fit into 25 22oz bottles. Since I had the one odd bottle, I decided to test it after the first week of conditioning (which was done at fermentation temp). I used 3/4 cup of corn sugar for priming.

First off the hoppiness is wonderful, and it had a very nice head. Now to the problems.

The other flavors seemed to be watery, and there really isn't much in the way of carbonation (besides the head). I assume the wateriness will stay the same, but will the beer become more carbonated within the next two+ weeks? I plan on putting the rest of the bottles in the fridge (~40 F).

I used saflager s23 dried yeast (came with the kit). Which for a lager yeast has a very wide temp range (51-75 F).

Thanks

it can take up to 3 weeks to carbonate so let it go at least that long before you put it in the fridge. it also will probably taste less watery when its fully carbd.

Ya right now you probably don't want to stick those bottles in the fridge. For the next 2 - 3 weeks, leave them somewhere (away from sunlight) where the temperature is about 70ish. If you fridge them now that's as carbonated as they'll get. :mug:

Well that makes sense, because the yeast would probably slow way down. But I was just following what the recipe said to do.

So I'll leave it at room temp. Thanks.

Steam beer Is my Absolute favorite beer and I just made a batch. I have found that if you age steam beer for a good 2 monthes it gets amazing.

Back