what temp can I store crushed grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
I just got my Rogue Mocha Porter shipment and the crushed grains are all in 1 sealed bag, way too big for my fridge! I'm also out of the bigger ziploc's.
I checked the weather and it's suppose to be 56 2 days out of the next 10 days, all the other days will be in the 40's or less. Can I store this grain in my garage or is that too long?

Nevermind, I was able to rearrange some stuff and jam it into one of the bins at the bottom. Regardless, it still would be nice to know the answer. :cross:

If your crushed grain is in a sealed bag to limit its exposure to air and you garage is dry, place it in a container to limit its exposure to light. Cooler temperatures are better, but 40s and 50s are fine. Crush grains(malted barley, wheat, etc) are susceptible to oxidation of their various components but particularly the small amount of fats and oils in them. Whole grains are naturally less susceptible to such oxidation due to their structure. I would use the crushed grain as soon as possible within a few days if possible.

Dr Malt

Dr Malt said:
If your crushed grain is in a sealed bag to limit its exposure to air and you garage is dry, place it in a container to limit its exposure to light. Cooler temperatures are better, but 40s and 50s are fine. Crush grains(malted barley, wheat, etc) are susceptible to oxidation of their various components but particularly the small amount of fats and oils in them. Whole grains are naturally less susceptible to such oxidation due to their structure. I would use the crushed grain as soon as possible within a few days if possible.

Dr Malt

What are safe storage temps for uncrushed malt?

what can you expect from crushed grain that has been stored sealed, yet at room temp for several months. Is it a worse efficiency problem, or freshness of taste...or both?

Joe

Joe028 said:
Is it a worse efficiency problem, or freshness of taste...or both?

Joe

My 2 cents worth is 'neither'. I have made beers from pre-crushed grains that were six months old and detected NO difference in any measurable way. Several other posters here have made similar comments.

One member made a beer from uncrushed grains that were at least a few years old- with no differences detected.

I keep reading from the 'sky is falling' crowd that grain is already too stale by the time the barley plant has finished growing it, or by the time the malting house has finished malting it or by the time the grain mill has finished milling, but the comments seem to be theory only. No practical examples AFAIK.

:mug:

That's good to know. My bulk order is arriving tomorrow! Whoo Hooo, here comes a $7.95 batch of Haus Pale Ale!:ban:

Back