is this a good craigslist deal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decent, not phenomenal. The converted kegs are probably worth $60 - $80 each. MLT is worth maybe $40. Chiller's worth $50. Carboy's $20. That's around $250 or so, plus the misc. stuff. If you need all of that equipment, it's a decent deal (it'd be a great deal at $200 - $225).

the_bird said:
Decent, not phenomenal. The converted kegs are probably worth $60 - $80 each. MLT is worth maybe $40. Chiller's worth $50. Carboy's $20. That's around $250 or so, plus the misc. stuff. If you need all of that equipment, it's a decent deal (it'd be a great deal at $200 - $225).

I agree. Offer him $200. Site the missing handles on the keggles as a flawed idea.

the_bird said:

Another point is that the prices tb posted are for new equipment.. This is all used, well used looking.

I think you can do better....only because the kegs are totally chopped, and everything is heavily used.

El_Borracho said:
Another point is that the prices tb posted are for new equipment.. This is all used, well used looking.

Not necessarily. To built that MLT brand-new, you'd be dropping $25 on a cooler and more than $20 on copper. Whether the wort chiller is new or used is moot; copper's copper, clean it up with a vinegar bath and it's good as new. Brand new converted keggles are closer to $200 (albeit with handles). I agree with Cheese regarding the lack of handles on the keggles; that's much less convenient.

If you were to purchase the stuff, it is a good deal, but if you were going to make it yourself, the pieces would cost about a $100, I wouldn't buy it and make the stuff myself, but then again, I know how to make most of that stuff myself, you might not. I second what the other guys say, offer him 200 and see if he takes it, then it would be a good deal.

The real question is:

Do you want to buy a complete set of someone else's equip, or do you want to create your own set?

Looks like at least 1 of the kegs in the picture has some handles welded onto the sides.Can't really tell with the other one. For 2 fully cut kegs with spigot and thermometer,I think it's a fair deal. Not great, but not bad.

Each $ you can talk him down is a better deal, but if you really want to make a jump, I would think it's worth it.

Back