Simple dark malt recipe without sugar needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT101

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have been doing well with wine as part of my self sufficiency lifestyle (foraging locally etc).

I'm quite keen on beer now. I don't consider sugar to be very sustainable as it takes a lot of energy and effort to produce in reality. I have been reading about saving some wort, and using that in the bottling process as opposed to corn sugar or other types.

I am partial to some dark malt beers such as Dragon Jamaican Stout, dark porters, belgian darks e.g. Leffe Brown, and dark german beers

Anyone got any recipes or can modify one that is really simple, not involving sugar or a lot of different ingredients, and using wort to bottle.

I just want something palatable. I'll work on the flavours later.

I know it's a big ask, but this seems to be the best place to ask.

Thanks

You don't have to put sugar in any beer. Extract?? All-grain?? Those beers you listed are all quite different. What is it you actually want to make?

................Dragon Jamaican Stout, dark porters, belgian darks e.g. Leffe Brown, or dark german beer recipe. Any of the above.

I now understand that malt extract is a few steps down the line from all-grain. Therefore all-grain would be more self sufficient, but since this is my first batch I'll make it easier on myself and use a malt extract.

I consider any of the above beers fairly sweet tasting but very dark almost black beers. But certainly not like Guiness, which is definitely not to my taste.

Any really simple recipes of the above that don't involve sugar. Thanks

Back