Category 23 entry question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EllisTX

Reaction score
I've got an Imperial Brown which has just finished bottle conditioning. I tasted the finished product this weekend. I initially was going to consider it just an Imperial Brown ale for the purposes of explaining what the beer was. Turns out that it's much drier than I anticipated. I'm thinking Imperial India Brown Ale would be a better description. The beer is 8.4% and has about 70 ibus from 4 oz each of Cascade and Chinook.

My question is, how important is it to name your style under the Specialty Beer category? Will judging depend greatly on how you describe your beer?

From the comments section of the BJCP guidelines:

THE BREWER MUST SPECIFY THE “EXPERIMENTAL NATURE” OF THE BEER (E.G., TYPE OF SPECIAL INGREDIENTS USED, PROCESS UTILIZED OR HISTORICAL STYLE BEING BREWED), OR WHY THE BEER DOESN’T FIT AN ESTABLISHED STYLE. For historical styles or unusual ingredients/techniques that may not be known to all beer judges, the brewer should provide descriptions of the styles, ingredients and/or techniques as an aid to the judges.

With 8.4% alcohol and estimated 70 IBU, I do think it important to let the Judges be aware of it. Calling it Imperial would do so. For the specialty category, the judges usually decide an order to judge the entries. Something of that much alcohol and bitterness would then be judged among beers of similar characteristics.

While there are no solid guidelines for for the style, you might get dinged for the higher alcohol if you enter it as "just" an India Brown Ale.

So I guess Imperial India Brown Ale should cover it. Thanks for the clarification. I've read the guidelines but, this being my first competition, I wasn't completely familiar with the rules pertaining to cat 23.

Latest posts

Back