Yeast Starter in a pinch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dloucks

Reaction score
So thought I ordered a 1000ml flask off northern brewer, but I looked at my order online and it wasn't there. So I'm planning a beer this coming week and wanted to try a starter of some of the yeast I washed a few weeks ago.

Can I boil my starter wort in a pot on the stove, cool it, then use a 2 liter bottle (sanitized of course) for growing out the yeast?

I know I'd have to chill the wort before putting it in the thin plastic bottle. I would drill a hole in the lid and put a ale-pale grommet in the hole for the air lock.

Any down side in doing it this way?

If you are trying to propagate (which is what a starter is for) the yeast, then don't use an airlock. A sanitized piece of aluminum foil covering the opening loosely will allow the gas exchange you need (yeast multiply in the presence of oxygen); swirl that starter a few times a day to keep the yeast in suspension and oxygen in the mix.

A plastic bottle will work fine.

:mug:

Yes,you can do that except you don't need an airlock. Some sanitized foil on the top works better. Shake the wort good so you get good aeration into it before adding the yeast.

Back