I have a problem with my BUNGHOLE! Any help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgerBrigade

Reaction score
Hi guys (and Yooper)
I have had the correct size bung (or rubber stopper) for all of my brews....
Looks like this:
FDC163C4-E2E5-4036-B267-CCC14FC320FC-5861-000005BF248392B0_zps4405f81d.jpg

&
310A6646-DD48-4564-B138-861726C6CD07-5861-000005BF1C8779AF_zps598dc4f0.jpg

But I may have got the wrong size with for my last batch and I am afraid the seal may not be perfect.
When I push slightly on the rubber stopper I see the liquid move in the airlock so I think the seal is ok but I don't know if it will stay that way? Any feedback?
This is what it looks like:
1076A97B-1C43-4D2A-8054-AA714E07707F-5861-000005BF2CD5725D_zps7beb7c98.jpg

(Post Script: The zip ties are only to keep the bung from slipping upward. They don't seem to stick well when they are wet, So I keep them down with the zip ties.)

Try getting some universal drilled carboy bungs, as seen below. I switched to them and never went back to the old rubber stopper.

31p7eeyIn-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I hate when I have trouble with my bunghole.

Most carboys use a #7 bung, but you may have one that is a bit smaller. No big deal.

The zipties are a cute touch! I just use a clean papertowel and dry off the carboy and the bung when closing.

Well you got our attention with that title. I almost spit out beer damn you. Nice quick fix but upstate is right.

Yooper said:
I hate when I have trouble with my bunghole.

Most carboys use a #7 bung, but you may have one that is a bit smaller. No big deal.

The zipties are a cute touch! I just use a clean papertowel and dry off the carboy and the bung when closing.

I have thought about doing this but I am a little bit worried about bacteria?

UpstateMike said:
Try getting some universal drilled carboy bungs, as seen below. I switched to them and never went back to the old rubber stopper.

I love these Mike! Where did you get them and I believe I should be using 6 1/2 or seven numbered bungs, will these fit?

liquiditynerd said:
Well you got our attention with that title. I almost spit out beer damn you. Nice quick fix but upstate is right.

Ya.... Forgot to add "agghhhh" to the end of the title... Lol

I love these Mike! Where did you get them and I believe I should be using 6 1/2 or seven numbered bungs, will these fit?
Your LHBS should have them. I believe they come in small, medium, and large. Medium should be good for glass carboys 5 - 6.5 gallons, and small works in my 1 gallon jugs. Large would probably be for something like a 14 gallon demijohn, which I hope to get this spring for a mass batch of Skeeter Pee. :tank:

You are probably trying to ram a wet bung into a wet carboy neck...doesn't work with silicone/rubber bungs. I'm old fashion and still use natural cork for a few of my carboys and they have the opposite problem...you have to wet them a little to get a good seal.

About the bacteria, brother.....RDWHAHB. Infections are not so common if your sanitation is good. From the care you exhibit about the precision of the fit of your seal......I'd say you're good. By the way, proper use of zip ties. I like.

Latest posts

Back