Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearcat Brewmeister

Pour, Drink, Pee, Repeat
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am dry hopping my APA right now and have quite the selection in the freezer to choose from: Cascade, Simcoe, Amarillo and Summit (plus others). I have always dry hopped with Cascade and after I discovered Simcoe, that has been a mandatory dry hop for me as well. I have seen several recipes with Amarillo dry hops and from the limited feedback I saw, it looks like a winner as well. What about Summit? It is still such a new enough hop that there seems to be only limited information out there on it. I love that hop in the boil as a flavor hop and have used it at 5 minutes as well, but does anyone here have experience with it as a dry hop? How was it relative to other dry hop combinations you have tried? Did you use it combined with anything else? Also, anymore feedback on Amarillo dry hopping would help.

I'm hopping my 3CPA with Amarillo, but just started it. I was holding off on dry hopping until the Bent Rod Rye got low.

I have some in my secondary now. I just brewed my second Dogfish 60min IPA clone, and the recipe calls for 1oz Amarillo and 0.5oz Simcoe Dry hop for 2 weeks. This time I'm using leaf hops, but the first time I used pellet hops and it was excellent. Great aroma from the beer. Smelling it was half the fun of drinking it!! :mug:

I also brew an all Amarillo Pale ale and dry hop it for two weeks with 1oz Amarillo. It's a mighty tasty beer too. I've never tried summit, but seems like it would also make a good dry hop.

I have not brewed an all Amarillo beer, but added cascade at 15 along with amarillo and columbus at 0 min and dry hop. I found that combination gave me huge tangerine flavors and aroma when young....it mellowed out a bit but wasn't really for me. From what I have read the Summit will give big tangerine flavors also.....but I can't confirm firsthand.

I really liked the beer I dry hopped with a columbus/chinook combo.

I few months ago I brewed a pale ale flavored with Cascade and Perle hops and I dry hopped with 1 oz of Amarillo. It had a pleasant hop aroma, but wasn't overly pungent. Slightly citrsy, but I didn't detect any tangerine flavors.

If I do it again I'd probably double it to 2 oz or be adventurous and switch to Simcoe and/or Summit.

I have! Check out my Yellow Rose IPA recipe in the recipe database. I based it on my fav brewpub's all-Amarillo IPA, called X-IPA. I just finished off a growler of it the other night! Dry-hopping with Amarillo imparts a great aroma!

I just got my first order of Summit hops the other day. I've tasted beers made with Summit, but have yet to brew one.

Thanks for the advice. I decided to go with my nose on this one. I added 1/2 oz of Simcoe and 1/2 ounce of Amarillo. That will sit with the beer in secondary for 2 weeks and then I will transfer to the keg and dry hop again. At that point I will again decide what to do. I have used Summit as a late hop, just not as a dry hop before. On one hand, I want to try something a bit different. On the other, the beer is getting entered in a competition and I don't want to mess it up by doing something that someone has already tried and had a bad experience with.

Back