One change to Edworts Haus Ale. What should it be?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnj

Reaction score
I will (hopefully) be brewing my fourth batch of AG, third batch of Eds Haus Ale. I have not yet tasted the two other batches as they are still in primary/secondary.

I would like to make one small change to each batch that I brew so I can see how they effect the overall taste.

Here is the recipe so you don't have to search for it.

8 lbs. 2-Row Pale Malt
2 lbs. Vienna Malt
0.5 lb. Crystal 10L Malt
2 ounces of Cascade
Nottingham dry yeast

The second batch I added one pound of Crystal 80L, so that was the one change. I was going to use the "no chill" technique but I may stick w/ the wort chiller to keep things consistent.

What do you think?

I just brewed Edwort's Haus Pale Ale with my father.. a 10G batch. We used half centennial, half cascade, and some warrior for bittering IIRC. I'm intrigued to try it.

That's the beauty of homebrewing.

Just change one thing at a time though, so you have a constant to work with.

Change the yeast this time.

Try a different hop next time...Simcoe or Amarillo come to mind.

It depends on what characteristic you want to influence.

easy. i replace the vienna with Canadial Honey malt. add 8oz carapils and change crystal fro, 10L to 60L. just right for this little bear.

That's more then one change blackwater...:)

I think I'll change the hops on this batch because hops are the same price and the yeast is higher in cost.

Thoughts on a good hop besides Eds suggestions?

How would Willamette fare in this brew? I don't think I've used this hop before.

Willamette would be good- floral and not citrusy, so it'll be an entirely different hop character. I love Willamette's, though, and recommend getting to know them.

good good. Keep 'em coming folks!

It's really going to depend on what the store has when I get down there. If I have a list of what people think would work, I can pick from that. If the hops they have are more expensive then I want to pay, I go w/ the different yeast....

That's the beauty of homebrewing.

Just change one thing at a time though, so you have a constant to work with.

Change the yeast this time.

Try a different hop next time...Simcoe or Amarillo come to mind.

It depends on what characteristic you want to influence.

Ohh... Haus Pale with amarillo. That sounds like a plan. :mug:

I made several batches with different hops, my attempt at cloning Firestone-Walker on EdWort's grain bill was the first "best beer yet" in my brew log.

I only have two posts in the thread and they are linkedback and forth to each other ;-)

More hops! I changed the first addition to 1.25 oz of Centennial and now I make it that way pretty much all the time now. Of course I'm doing a partial boil PM version, so one could argue that I just pushed it back up where it was supposed to be in the first place.

I brewed a batch yesterday. I left out the crystal and added 1lb of flaked barley and used US-05.
How does that sound ?
I also missed my mash temp and ended up with 149F :(
I hope its going to be OK. Post boil OG was 1.054.

I've done several variations: toast one # of vienna, use simcoe with cascade, pitch with pacman, dry hop with cascade. They've all been good.

sadly the variation I recently submitted to a comp. had none of these variations. I've a feeling it's going receive poor marks. Poor planning on my part.:eek:

I made his recipe w/ US-05 and it turned out fantastic. Since Notty and US-05 are both great yeasts for a lot of different beers, I'd try that and leave everything else the same to get an idea of what the yeasts bring to the table.

Speaking of changes:

I searched, but didn't find anything on this thread..

Did anyone post results if adding the 1/2# of Flaked Barley to the original 5lb EdWorts Haus Pale Ale receipe?

I'd like to know what you found out..

Thanks,

Jknapp

Did anyone post results if adding the 1/2# of Flaked Barley to the original 5lb EdWorts Haus Pale Ale receipe?

Haven't done it myself, but I add a 1/2 lb to a lot of my pales and they've all turned out great. Out of this world head retention and doesn't add much flavor wise at least IME.

Brett.

Just inoculated half of my tenth ten gallon batch of Edwort's fabulous haus pale ale with brett. BTW, best pale recipe on the net. VIENNA CASCADE MAGIC.

I've also experimented with all amarillo instead of cascade. When all amarillo is lackluster in an IPA, in a pale ale I feel it can be illuminating, if a bit apricoty for some.

Apricoty, is that a word?

As a lurker...props to Edwort and Homebrewtalk, for some of the greatest homebrew recipes and knowledge on the internet. You inspire me on a daily basis.

I've got three different batches in primary right now... One as Edwort intended, one where I replaced the Vienna with Munich, and another where I replaced 1/2lb of the base malt with flaked barley. They will all be ready to drink within a week of each other, so I'm looking forward to a side-by-side comparison! Will report back with results...

I brewed a batch this past Saturday, used the original recipe AND added 1/2# flaked barley. I didn't think about subbing it in place of a 1/2# of the base.. that would've been a good idea..

..i guess I added more fermentables than the original recipe. That didn't occur to me at the time.

So, finally tapped the last keg of the Ed's Haus Ale Triumvirate of Experimentation and can report on the results. Unfortunately, I had one batch come in with low efficiency, and the other two batches dried out more than they normally do. So much for consistency in this "experiment."

Ed's Original:
OG: 1.048
FG: 1.008

This one had lower efficiency than I expect with my system, and dried out more than I expected. Still, as a result of the lower starting gravity, I found that this tasted like it normally does when I brew it. Well balanced, mildly sweet, grapefruit nose, creamy, shortlived head, minimal lacing.

Ed's w/ Munich:
OG: 1.053

I substituted 2lbs of GW Munich malt for the Vienna malt in the original recipe. Everything else was consistent with the original recipe. This one dried out more than I expected, so the balance was off. Still good, though. Hop balanced, mild toast flavor, grapefruit nose, creamy head, minimal lacing.

Ed's w/ Flaked Barley:
OG: 1.053

In this version I substituted 1/2lb flaked barley for the 2-row base malt in the original recipe. Everything else remained the same as the original recipe. This, like the Munich version, dried out too much. Despite this, it was a good comparison with the Munich, since the gravities were the same. I found that the change in mouth feel provided by the flaked barley rounded some of the dryness and percieved IBUs. I liked it. Still, because of the dryness, this version was hop balanced, very mild sweetness, grapefruit nose, very creamy head, with moderately good lacing.

Conclusion:
I liked them all! :cross: Ed's Haus Pale is a classic, and I've brewed it more times than any other recipe since I started brewing a couple of years ago. It was my first partial mash, and my first AG, I filled my first corny keg with it, etc, etc. Let's just say I'm familiar with it and, in the words of Lloyd Christmas, "I like it a lot!"

That being said, these variations on the recipe, despite their speed bumps, were really good. I really liked the subtle, smooth dimension that the flaked barley added to the mouth feel. I also liked the firmer malt/toast profile that the Munich provided, and it, too, was a subtle thing. Definitely not an explosion of malt, just different than the Vienna.

I really should brew these again and shoot for a higher FG that is more in line with Ed's original recipe for a more accurate comparison, but... I probably won't. I think the next step for me is to brew a recipe with Munich AND flaked barley. :D

:mug:

I only made it once, but I found Haus Pale a little too plain for this west coast IPA addict. I'd maybe sub a little crystal 60 for some of the vienna.

I did notice the carb level affects the flavor alot on this beer. So that's something else to play with.

Back