Critical sanitation times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FenoMeno

Reaction score
Throughout the process, we are always stressing cleanliness and sanitizing- blow off's- air locks, etc. However, when we bottle, we are mixing in sugar, stirring, etc in an open bucket.

At what point are we less concerned about sanitation?

:cross:

I'm still concerned about sanitation at bottling. I use a sanitized bottling bucket, and sanitized tubing, and bottle in sanitized bottles. I don't stir, though.

I sanitize everything before I bottle. and while I'm bottling, I have a lid on my bottling bucket, to make sure nothing floating around in the air falls in. but like yooper, i dont stir either.

IMO you should not use an open bottling bucket, especially in your kitchen. Aluminum foil is cheap if you don't have a lid.

When I bottle condition I mix the priming solution with the beer in a better bottle. It's just as easy if you can start a siphon.

Did my first bottling last night. I did have an open bucket, but not for that long so it doesn't seem like a huge concern. Going forward perhaps I'll throw a lid on it that's got a airlock hole drilled, that should vent it well so that it doesn't slow down the process. The foil that remilard mentioned would work well too.

That being said, the bottling bucket, auto-siphon, tubing, bottle filler, bottles and bottle caps were all sanitized. The sugar I dissolved in boiling water before cooling it down and adding to the beer before bottling, so that should have been sanitary as well. Sanitation is important right up until the cap is crimped onto the bottle.

Latest posts

Back