Belgian Tripple Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodan

Reaction score
Heyguys,

Thanks a bunch for helping me with my first AG beer (hefe weisen). Turned out great!! Just have to cold condition for a couple weeks now.:mug:

Anyway, I am now on my second AG beer. This time its a belgian style trippel. Yeast was Wyeast "canadian/belgium" seasonal.

I have completed the secondary fermentation and now it is time to bottle (man, that yeast is fast!). I was wondering : A- What type of sugar i should use to prime? and B- How much of it should i use?
I want to get "authentic" results because i love belgium beer, so carbonation has to be a little higher than usual... right?

I have dextrose, rogers golden syrup, and light DME. I do not want a "cidery" flavor in this beer so im shying away from using dextrose.... the rogers golden syrup might impart a deeper color or richer flavor than is nessesary in a triple... ???

I know you guys know your stuff so... please impart wisdom!

Thanks!!! :)

You will get differing opinions on this but heres mine FWIW:

Some Belgians have a really high carbonation! Duvel for example really wakens you up. I think thats carbonated to around 4 - 5 volumes of CO2. Trippels I usually find are a little milder carbonation-wise. I would go for the standard 2.5 or even lower. Or, stick with what you like.

Here is a priming calculator plus a guide to style levels:

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

I personally would prime with the dextrose. At priming sugar levels, you aren't going to get the cidery tastes IMHO. I've tried all the priming methods and I don't notice a difference between them apart from some take longer than others.

DME takes longer to carbonate and is more expensive.

Since you're not going to be drinking this beer right away anyway, it would be a good candidate for experimenting with DME for priming.

I'm not sure that the flavor is any different, but I do find that DME-primed beers seem to have smaller, denser bubbles which makes for a little more aesthetically pleasing head.

But it might be all in my head...corn sugar really does work just fine for priming. I agree with Mysterio that the priming sugar really isn't a large aenopugh amount either way to effect the taste.

I'm not sure that the flavor is any different, but I do find that DME-primed beers seem to have smaller, denser bubbles which makes for a little more aesthetically pleasing head.

This is an interesting debate, most folks say the same thing. I split a batch into two and primed them with corn sugar and DME (extra DME to compensate for its lack of fermentability). I personally didn't notice any difference. Go ahead and try it though, Rodan, and report back!

he he...

Well, thanks for the great help guys!

What i ended up doing is using that link that mysterio gave me (thanks man!)...

I was aiming for a carbonation that was authentic so i consulted my "brew like a monk" book and decided that i probably wanted a carbonation of around 3.2-3.5. Then i plugged numbers into the formula and came out with 7.1 dex OR 12.8 DME.

THEN, i split it in half! I used approx 3.5 dex and 6-ish DME, boiled with water on the stove and added to the beer before bottling. I should have done the experimental thing and split the batch BUT... whatever.

Anyway, i have some cleaning to do....

THANKS YOU GUYS!!! :mug:

Back