Sours make me vomit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jah777

Reaction score
When I drink sours I throw up. *This doesn't seem to happen with some of the commercial sours I have had like Petrus Oude Bruin, Petrus Pale, Duchess, Rodenbach Vintage, Rodenbach Grand Cru, etc. *However, on three occasions that I had home brewed sours I threw up afterwards. *I did not drink excessively on these occasions, nor have I ever thrown up after drinking beer when sours were not involved. *I am not a heavy drinker and do not drink enough to get drunk. *So, I'm trying to figure out why sours do this to me and am wondering if Anyone Has An idea. *My first thought was that the commercial sours I don't have a problem with have been pasteurized, whereas the home brewed examples have not and so my stomach may not be a hospitable place for the living bugs or bacteria in the home brewed sours. *However, the most recent incident occurred after tasting a Ideasour mash red ale that I made, which was soured prior to doing a 60 min boil and then fermented with a Saison yeast with no bugs added. *I literally only had about 8oz, then woke up the next morning throwing up. *The sour mash problem leads me to think the issue may be pH or acidity in general that my stomach may be responding to rather than the bugs, but then I wonder why I am okay with the commercial examples mentioned above. *Two out of the three times that I threw up after drinking a sour I earlier had french fries, so I'm also wondering if the problem could be a combination of the acidity from the sour and the grease from the fried foods, or something like that. *Any ideas? *

I have two thoughts:
1) you might be correct on the acidity thing or food combo. If a sour mash did it to you, then it's less likely it's a lacto or pedio strain doing it to you. Maybe try popping some tums before you drink the next one.

2) there is a possibility that the homebrews are being drunk on the young side. When I made my plambic, it went through a serious ropy phase. It tasted like vomit. It almost made me vomit. Eventually the intensity of that ropiness faded. It could be that these homebrews need to age more before you enjoy them.

+1 on #2. If commercials don't bother you but homebrews do, I'd compare the pH of the beers, maybe they're too young / acidic.

By "age" I don't necessarily mean to let the microbiology have more time to work, like a lambic. I also mean allowing time for the sharper flavors to mellow.

Back