Help with Yeast...newb

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjconway

Reaction score
Hello all,

So this is my first cider Im attempting from cider days in western mass. Anyways, I got 6 gallons, put 6 campden tabs in, waited about 22 hours, pitched a pack of Cotes des blancs. So its been roughly 24 hours now. Most of the yeast appear to either be floating in suspension or at the bottom. There is evidence of fermentation, there is a small layer of Krausen. Am I jumping the gun on this? I am used to beer fermentation taking right off. BTW I am sitting at 64 degrees. No rehydrating either. Can someone maybe add some info on this yeast and a difference between beer fermentation and cider fermentation. Hope Im not screwed

Sounds find to me. Cider will most often than not, not have a krausen. A krausen is caused by all the proteins which are in beer, but not in cider. The most you'll see is a thin layer of bubbles on the top, and a whole heap of tiny bubbles rushing up the side of the fermenter!

Latest posts

Back