guidance on these Hops for a SMaSH or IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coach_Hogleg

Reaction score
A friend received the following hops: nugget, zeus, brewers gold and 70 (not sure what that means). Sounds like he has app. 1/4 pound of each type. We plan to brew a 10 gallon batch but may split the wort into two five gallon boils.

We are planning to brew later this week and are looking to do an IPA style or SMaSH beer.

Question One: Will all of these hops work for a smash? Would some work better than others?

Question Two: Anyone willing to share an IPA recipe that could utilize the hops from above?

Question Three: the last bag just says "70" any help with this?

Zeus = Columbus, which will absolutely work. Any chan e the 70 is grains (crystal 70L)?

Well I haven't seen the bags and my buddy isn't a homebrew guy. He has helped me with one batch, but I have to assume he knows the difference between grain and hops???? I hope:fro:

I'm a fan of nugget hops, I have an all nugget IPA on tap right now that I really like. I think the recipe was something like 15 pounds of Rahr 2 row and a couple pounds of flaked oats. I guess adding the flaked oats might not qualify it as a true "SMaSH" but I like the mouth feel of the oats. Depending on the AA of the nugget hops you have you might need to scale down the malt but 3 oz in the boil and a oz for dry hop should get you a nice IPA.

Back