stock grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikes_brew

Reaction score
I'm switching to AG soon and wanted to know which grains would be a good selection to stock pile for brews? I like all but really hoppy brews. Just got the mill completed and want to start buying bulk.
brewing black dog ale kit as i type and drink Creame ale.

thanks,
mike:ban:

this may be too obvious, but you should get a couple of sacks of base malt (Rahr 2-row or Maris Otter) As you need a significant amount of these in most brews!

Also, you may want to consider Cara-Pils.

Although you won't put 10lbs in a 5 gallon batch, if you know you will be brewing quite a lot of lighter colored batches, with not much else Crystal malt, you will most likely be adding a pound a batch. If it's worth it will most likely depend on how often you brew and what types of beer you're most likely to brew.

You'll want some light crystal probably and a higher L crystal for flexibility.

I tend to keep a pound of almost everything my LHBS carries except rauchmalt, and I usually grab 5lb bags of wheat, vienna or munich malts when I need em.

I don't brew tons so I just have briess 2-row by the 50lb bag.

Just get un-milled stuff and keep it sealed and dry...it'll last til you use it :)

I have a 50lb sack of 2-row, and a 50lb sack of vienna, like many others here I keep a good selection of other grains, I have between 2 and 10 lbs of my common ones. I use a lot of c-40 so its at a 10lb stock level, something like c-120 is at a 1 lb level.

FOR YOU:
Base malt of your choice. (2-row, MO, Golden Promise, etc.)

Then, depending on what you want to brew continuously, get those malts.

FOR ME:
I regularly brew:
  • Ed's Haus Pale Ale (2-row, crystal 10-15L, Vienna Malt)
  • Ed's Bavarian Hefe (Pilsner and Wheat Malt)
  • Honey Wheat (wheat malt, 2-row, crystal)
  • American Cream Ale (2-row, flaked corn, minute rice)
  • IPA (2-row, crystal)
  • Stout (2-row, flaked barley, roasted barley)
  • Monster Brew (everything that's left after a year)

How I buy it:
  • 2-row in 55-lb sacks
  • Red Wheat Malt 20 lbs at a time
  • Vienna 10 lbs at a time
  • Pilsner 10 lbs at a time
  • Roasted Barley & Flaked Barley - 4lbs at a time
  • Crystals, flakes and other adjuncts 2 lbs at a time

I've experimented with roasting the 2-row to make a house crystal that I think is around 15L - comes out pretty good. I want to try and make some other variations and see if I can duplicate the results fairly close.

In case it hasn't been mentioned: Get your own mill. It's a wonderful thing to have and without it I would recommend against buying in bulk.

thanks for the replies!!
Archiefl98, I did just have a mill made by a machinist friend of mine.it's great! I need to put a motor to it instead of a drill but works great!

Yeah, I tend to not read well after drinking -- completely missed the part about having a mill. At any rate, happy brewing!

I know I've done it in a few other posts, but I'm going to throw out my bulk rule of thumb again: Don't buy anything in bulk until you have already used up the amount you're buying in its shelf life. I'd give uncrushed grain a 1 year shelf life. Brew some batches over the next year and see what 55lb bags you will go through in that time. If not, then I promise you sooner or later you'll either throw out some ingredients gone bad or make some brews you're not excited about but need to finish out your stock of something.

Back