What are 50L kegs worth?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric_pwb

Reaction score
I have been offered 3 50L kegs to start my all-grain brewing rig, and I am wondering what they are worth?

The guy is asking $225CDN for all three.

the price seems a little high. My HLT is a 13.x gallon imperial keg. I got it from the LHBS, the guy there charged me $25 to weld on all the fittings I wanted, and $0 for the keg.

Also last year, I got two 15.5 gallon sanke kegs off craigslist for $20-25, so only $10-12 each. The most I've paid was $30 for a 15.5 gallon to my old boss.

Another point to consider - unless you're using some sort of foam control, those smaller kegs won't work well for the boil kettle. I think beersmith says my normal pre-boil volume for an 11 gallon batch is 13.something gallons. I have to pay attention to prevent a boilover, even in the 15.5 gal

Are the tops cut off? WElded fitting or just plain fittings? I wouldn't personally pay over 30-40 for a keg, but thats what they're worth to me. Keg worth is a very debatable issue.

I use one for a keggle. Works great. How much I'd pay for it, I'm not sure. (US)$30 I guess.

I paid $45 for a 50L keg at a metal scrap yard. It was $1.50 a pound for stainless steel....the keg was approx 30lbs.

So $225 would be a big high in my opinion. But if they were precut then it would make a difference.

Overall...if you're satisfied with $225 go for it!!!!

I have two kegs, a 15.5 gallon and a 13.x gallon (50 ltr). I do ten gallon batches and my setup works great as long as I use the smaller for the hot liquor tank and the larger one to boil wort. I wouldn't want to have any less room for my boils...

I guess it would depend on what the going rate is in Canada and the availability of kegs. Can you legally obtain kegs from a brewery that have been put out of service? If so the price they would charge is a good indicator of value. Here in Portland OR one brewer sells them for $30 & another gets $45 for them.

If the tops are cut off, they have stainless steel fittings and ball valves installed, I could see paying $225 for all three. But if it's just the kegs, no way.

I have been offered 3 50L kegs to start my all-grain brewing rig, and I am wondering what they are worth?

The guy is asking $225CDN for all three.

In my area, Southern TN:north AL, 35-50 dollars US is norm for kegs. AB sells kegs for 54.00 (50 plus sales tax). Im not sure what your conversion factor is for US/CAN.

Back