HBT NFL Mock Draft '09

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the last pick of the HBT mock draft the Steelers select:

Eric Wood Center Louisville

The Steelers have managed to resign all of the starters from the super bowl O-line but the have lost most of the depth. They are in need of some good backups and players that can compete for the starting positions. Wood looks to be a smart and hard working center that could also move to guard. This fits well with the history of excellent centers for the Steelers. Hopefully he can compete for the starting job and if nothing else push Hartwig and the guards to play better.

Also under consideration was Philip Loadholt OT for some of the same reasons. Loadholt is an enormous player with good physical traits. I was however concerned about his intelligence and work ethic. Eric is not as dominate physically but he has the drive and intelligence to be a success in the NFL.

I would have liked to pick up a good DE at this point but defensive lineman were well picked over in our draft and I didn't feel any were a value at this point.

Craig

Great draft everyone.
This has been very interesting and fun. I am actually interested in the upcoming draft this year.

Thanks

Craig

Hey, did anyone happen to see the article in Forbes about the "best and worst NFL draft teams?"

Biggest piece of **** I've read in a long time. Ranks Houston as #1, the Pats at #32 (and just so it's clear I'm not totally biased, ranking Pittsburg #29 is equally 'tarded). All they did was look at the percentage of players drafted in the past three years that were still on the team, which conveniently ignores:

1. Teams like Pitt and NE that started out with pretty stocked rosters
2. Undrafted free agents that latch on
3. Teams that are unwilling to part with players JUST because they drafted them and don't want to admit to their mistakes (oh, where art thou, Chad Jackson?)
4. Draft picks that were used in trades (Wes Welker, Randy Moss)

Intellectually-lazy "reporting" pisses me off to no end. Hell of a lot more intelligence displayed in this thread than in a POS article that Fortune feels is good enough to publish.

THANK YOU for organizing this, 'Brewtus, it's been a blast and I know a helluva lot more about the guys who'll be drafted than ever before.

Hey, did anyone happen to see the article in Forbes about the "best and worst NFL draft teams?"

Biggest piece of **** I've read in a long time. Ranks Houston as #1, the Pats at #32 (and just so it's clear I'm not totally biased, ranking Pittsburg #29 is equally 'tarded). All they did was look at the percentage of players drafted in the past three years that were still on the team, which conveniently ignores:

1. Teams like Pitt and NE that started out with pretty stocked rosters
2. Undrafted free agents that latch on
3. Teams that are unwilling to part with players JUST because they drafted them and don't want to admit to their mistakes (oh, where art thou, Chad Jackson?)
4. Draft picks that were used in trades (Wes Welker, Randy Moss)

Intellectually-lazy "reporting" pisses me off to no end. Hell of a lot more intelligence displayed in this thread than in a POS article that Fortune feels is good enough to publish.

THANK YOU for organizing this, 'Brewtus, it's been a blast and I know a helluva lot more about the guys who'll be drafted than ever before.

So they are saying the two most successful franchises are the worst drafters. Makes alot of sense :confused: especially because I know atleast the Steelers have picked up very few of their starters in free agency. So where are the players who won the SB coming from??

Amazing :rolleyes:

Craig

Draft bombs: 2007 second round pick defensive tackle Kareem Brown (pictured at left) and 2006 fourth rounder, running back Garrett Mills

Brown was a fourth-round pick. Author apparently couldn't be bothered to consult with wikipedia, much less anyone with half a ****ing brain to tell him his whole article was dog****.

With the REAL last pick in the HBT mock draft :D (the 65th overall selection), the Detroit Lions select Phil Loadholt, OT - Oklahoma.

I tried to trade up for Beatty a couple of times in the 2nd to no avail. I'd think about adding yet another CB to a horrible defense here with Jarius Byrd - who has great size, and one of the TE's left on the board is tempting as well. At this point Loadholt presents too much value to pass up. I'd make this pick hoping that Chase Coffman, Cornelius Ingram, James Casey or Jared Cook are there at #82.

Great draft everyone.
This has been very interesting and fun. I am actually interested in the upcoming draft this year.

Craig

Thanks to everyone who participated. Hopefully you'll all be interested again next year. I fully expect to see full 1st round mock drafts from some of you guys in here before the 25th. I'll post mine sometime next week.

After the draft I'll update the OP with actual picks and assign points based on a system that I use to grade my own mock drafts and we'll see how we did compared to some of the 'pros'.

As much as I don't want it to happen, I think that the Lions are leaning towards Stafford.

Here's my mock so far. I may change a few guys around before Friday depending on if the Lions sign their guy.

1. Detroit Lions - Matthew Stafford, QB - Georgia

The new brass decides that they need a new face for the franchise. While the Lions have been really bad for a long time, they haven't been in a position to draft a potential stud QB since they last time the blew it with Harrington in 2002.

This makes ob a sad panda. Oh well, time to start drinking more once this pick has been made. :D

2. St. Louis Rams - Aaron Curry, LB - Wake Forest

New head coach Steve Spagnuolo will want to help the defense first. Losing Pace hurts, but they can move Alex Barron over to LT and draft a RT in the 2nd or 3rd.

3. Kansas City Chiefs - Eugene Monroe, OT - Virginia

With Curry off the board, Orakpo is tempting to bolster the linebacking core of the new 3-4 scheme. BJ Raji is also under consideration here since Glen Dorsey is probably better suited to play DE in the new 3-4.

Pioli likes to move around in the draft. I actually expect someone to come up here and get Sanchez or Raji, but if KC makes the pick I believe it will be an OT and most likely Monroe.

4. Seattle Seahawks - Mark Sanchez, QB - USC

Seattle hasn't been in this position much over the last decade and I expect them to take full advantage of it by grabbing the eventual heir to the throne.

Sanchez has great accuracy and intangibles to thrive in Mora's WCO. Hasselbeck may have another year or two left, but with Holmgren gone Sanchez could get playing time sooner than later.

5. Cleveland Browns - Michael Crabtree, WR - Texas Tech

I'm not predicting any trades here, but I expect that the Browns will move Braylon Edwards before the draft or possibly on draft day and will make a move here to replace him with the best WR coming out since Calvin Johnson.

6. Cincinnati Bengals - Jason Smith, OT - Baylor

Smith will step in and immediately start at LT for the Bengals. What better way to welcome Carson Palmer back than with a blue chip stud OT protecting him?

7. Oakland Raiders - Jeremy Maclin, WR - Missouri

It's almost a guarantee that this pick is going to be a WR. Obviously I think that Crabtree will be gone, but Crazy Al may pull a fast one here based on his obsession for speed and reach for the guy with the fastest 40 time at the combine - Maryland's Darrius Heyward-Bey. I'm guessing that someone will talk some sense into Crazy Al and they'll take Maclin instead.

8. Jacksonville Jaguars - BJ Raji, DT - Boston College

Raji looks to be a monster in the middle. At this point I don't see how the Jags can let him slide any further.

9. Green Bay Packers - Brian Orakpo, DE/OLB - Texas

The Packers are pleasantly surprised that Orakpo falls to them here and they snatch him up. The Packers are also making the transition to a 3-4 and a pass rushing OLB like Orakpo who can also play with his hand on the ground at DE it a must for this defense to be successfull.

10. San Francisco 49'ers - Tyson Jackson, DE - LSU

After signing Marvel Smith, the 49'ers can shift their focus to the defensive line and get a real playmaker here with Jackson.

11. Buffalo Bills - Michael Oher, OT - Ole Miss
12. Denver Broncos - Everette Brown, DE/OLB - Florida State
13. Washington Redskins - Andre Smith, OT - Alabama
14. New Orleans Saints - Malcolm Jenkins, CB - Ohio State
15. Houston Texans - Brian Cushing, LB - USC
16. San Diego Chargers - Robert Ayers, DE - Tennessee
17. New York Jets - Josh Freeman, QB - Kansas State
18. Denver Broncos - Rey Maualuga, LB - USC
19. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Michael Johnson, DE - Georgia Tech
20. Detroit Lions (from Dallas) - James Laurinaitis, LB - Ohio State
21. Philadelphia Eagles - Knowshon Moreno, RB - Georgia
22. Minnesota Vikings - Eben Britton, OT - Arizona
23. New England Patriots -Clay Matthews, LB - USC
24. Atlanta Falcons - Brandon Pettigrew, TE - Oklahoma State
25. Miami Dolphins - Vontae Davis, CB - Illinois
26. Baltimore Ravens - Hakeem Nicks, WR - North Carolina
27. Indianapolis Colts - Peria Jerry, DT - Ole Miss
28. Buffalo Bills (from PHI from CAR) - Connor Barwin, DE - Cincinnati
29. New York Giants - Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR - Maryland
30. Tennessee Titans - Aaron Maybin, DE/OLB - Penn State
31. Arizona Cardinals - Donald Brown, RB - Connecticut
32. Pittsburgh Steelers - Darius Butler, CB - Connecticut

33. Detroit Lions - Evander "Ziggy" Hood, DT - Missouri.

Dropped from the HBT Mock 1st round:
Percy Harvin, WR - Florida
Chris Wells, RB - Ohio State
Ron Brace, DT - Boston College

Looks a lot more realistic than some of the mocks I've seen lately. One had Curry dropping to #11! Sorry, but No. ****ing. Way!

Freeman to the JETS I think is pretty much a done deal, but that's one of the picks that I think is most likely to be regretted in the years ahead. If Raji lasts to #8, I think there's going to be three or four teams that regret not signing him. I think there's a good chance this ends up being the "Sanchez Draft," if Seattle takes him he'll have a year or two to develop under a good veteran and won't be forced into a bad situation. He'll get some snaps before the season's done, though, I don't see Seattle being in a playoff run next year so he'll get some game action.

I'm a wee bit worried about Clay Matthews just because he didn't get a lot of playing time for a while... you hope that he's not being hyped up because of his genes (although if he's got the durability of his old man and his uncle...)

Andre Smith, I don't think I'd touch with a ten-foot pole. It's not just that he's off his rocker, it's also when they talk about him maybe playing guard; you do NOT draft a guard in the first round!

There no freaking way that Curry drops to #11. AJ Hawk went #5 overall a few years ago and Curry is leaps and bounds ahead of where AJ was when he got drafted. The fact that he's in the mix at #1 speaks volumes to his abilities and character.

If SF or DEN decide that they want to go QB and both Stafford and Sanchez are off the board, then there's an outside chance that one of them will take Freeman - but he should be there for the Jets at #17.

I think Matthews will fit well into a 3-4. He'll be a productive player for the Patriots.

Andre Smith is the most talented LT in this draft. His off the field issues have dropped him a bit, but I don't see any way that he makes it past WSH at #13 and could certainly go sooner.

My potential draft day surprises:

Mark Sanchez will be (and is) under consideration at #1 overall in Detroit.
Mark Sanchez will be (and is) under consideration at #2 overall in St. Louis.
Beanie Wells well most likely slip into the 2nd.
Darrius Heyward-Bey could go to the Raiders at 7.
There could be a TON of trades. KC, JAC, DEN, NO, DET (#20) are all looking to move down. If Raji falls, someone will come up to get him (possibly Denver).
At least 5 OT will be taken in the 1st.
Louis Delmas may have worked his way into the first round.
Tampa has a stiffy for Michael Johnson.

I hope that Matt Stafford is sitting in the green room long enough to be *really* uncomfortable (have I mentioned lately how much I don't want the Lions to take him at #1? :D )

Here is my Prediction.

1)Detroit - Matt Stafford Georgia
2)St.Louis - Jason Smith Baylor
3)KC - Aaron Curry Wake
4)Seattle - Mark Sanchez USC
5)Cleveland - Michael Crabtree Texas Tech
6)Cinci - Eugene Monroe Virgina
7)Oakland - Jeremy Maclin Mizzou
8)Jacksonville - BJ Raji Boston College
9)Green Bay - Brian Orakpo Texas
10)San Fran - Tyson Jackson LSU
11)Buffalo - Andre Smith Alabama
12)Denver - Everette Brown Florida State (They Might Trade up for Sanchez)
13)Washington - Aaron Maybin Penn St.
14)New Orleans - Malcolm Jenkins OH St.
15)Houston - Clay Mathews USC
16)San Diego - Eben Britton Arizona
17)NY Jets - Beanie Wells OH St.
18)Denver - Brian Cushing USC
19)Tampa Bay - Josh Freeman Kansas St.
20)Detroit - William Beatty UCONN
21)Philadelphia - Knowshon Moreno Georgia
22)Minnesota - Darius Butler UCONN
23)New England - Ray Maualuga USC
24)Atlanta - Brandon Pettigrew OK ST
25)Miami -Vontae Davis ILL
26)Baltimore - Hakeem Nicks UNC (May Trade for Boldin)
27)Indi - Jerry Peria Ole Miss
28)Buffalo - Larry English N.Ill
29)New York Giants - Darrius Heyward-Bey MAry
30)Tennesse - Sean Smith Utah
31)Arizona - Donald Brown UCONN
32)Pittsburgh - Alex Mack CAL

33)Detroit - Evander Hood MIZZOU

With the Tony Gonzalez trade to Atlanta, I changed mine around a bit.

RD1 1 Detroit Lions Matthew Stafford
2 St. Louis Rams Aaron Curry
3 Kansas City Chiefs Eugene Monroe
4 Seattle Seahawks Mark Sanchez
5 Cleveland Browns Michael Crabtree
6 Cincinnati Bengals Jason Smith
7 Oakland Raiders Jeremy Maclin
8 Jacksonville Jaguars BJ Raji
9 Green Bay Packers Brian Orakpo
10 San Francisco 49'ers Tyson Jackson
11 Buffalo Bills Michael Oher
12 Denver Broncos Everette Brown
13 Washington Redskins Andre Smith
14 New Orleans Saints Malcolm Jenkins
15 Houston Texans Brian Cushing
16 San Diego Chargers Robert Ayers
17 New York Jets Josh Freeman
18 Denver Broncos Rey Maualuga
19 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Michael Johnson
20 Detroit Lions James Laurinaitis
21 Philadelphia Eagles Knowshon Moreno
22 Minnesota Vikings Eben Britton
23 New England Patriots Clay Matthews
24 Atlanta Falcons Aaron Maybin
25 Miami Dolphins Vontae Davis
26 Baltimore Ravens Hakeem Nicks
27 Indianapolis Colts Peria Jerry
28 Buffalo Bills Brandon Pettigrew
29 New York Giants Darrius Heyward-Bey
30 Tennessee Titans Larry English
31 Arizona Cardinals Donald Brown
32 Pittsburgh Steelers Darius Butler

RD1 1 Detroit Lions Matthew Stafford
2 St. Louis Rams Jason Smith
3 Kansas City Chiefs Aaron Curry
4 Seattle Seahawks Mark Sanchez
5 Cleveland Browns BJ Raji
6 Cincinnati Bengals Eugene Monroe
7 Oakland Raiders Michael Crabtree
8 Jacksonville Jaguars Jeremy Maclin
9 Green Bay Packers Brian Orakpo
10 San Francisco 49'ers Tyson Jackson
11 Buffalo Bills Michael Oher
12 Denver Broncos Everette Brown
13 Washington Redskins Andre Smith
14 New Orleans Saints Malcolm Jenkins
15 Houston Texans Brian Cushing
16 San Diego Chargers Robert Ayers
17 New York Jets Josh Freeman
18 Denver Broncos Rey Maualuga
19 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Michael Johnson
20 Detroit Lions James Laurinaitis
21 Philadelphia Eagles Knowshon Moreno
22 Minnesota Vikings Eben Britton
23 New England Patriots Clay Matthews
24 Atlanta Falcons Aaron Maybin
25 Miami Dolphins Vontae Davis
26 Baltimore Ravens Hakeem Nicks
27 Indianapolis Colts Peria Jerry
28 Buffalo Bills Brandon Pettigrew
29 New York Giants Darrius Heyward-Bey
30 Tennessee Titans Larry English
31 Arizona Cardinals Donald Brown
32 Pittsburgh Steelers Darius Butler

Wow, Jackson at #3. There was talk the Pats were trying to move into the top 10 with him in mind, but apparently Pioli is ALSO of the opinion that Jackson is Richard Seymour The Second. One of the 'tards on the local channels was suggesting that BB was trying to move up to get Andre Smith; no chance.

Wow, Jackson at #3. There was talk the Pats were trying to move into the top 10 with him in mind, but apparently Pioli is ALSO of the opinion that Jackson is Richard Seymour The Second. One of the 'tards on the local channels was suggesting that BB was trying to move up to get Andre Smith; no chance.

This pick blew my freaking mind. I'm almost caught up on the DVR, I still haven't seen the Packers' pick yet. I don't see how they can pass on Raji.

This pick blew my freaking mind. I'm almost caught up on the DVR, I still haven't seen the Packers' pick yet.

Even though it wasn't too far Everytime Curry didn't get picked I got more angry. That dude is one of the coolest humble guys Ive ever seen in a draft. I wanted him in detroit so god damn bad.

Did you guys see what Cleveland got from the Jets? #17, #57 and 3 players... one of which is a scrub QB? Seems like the Browns could have gotten a lot more value out of that pick.

Oh, and in case I haven't mentioned it lately... F Matt Stafford.

I wanted them to take a TE in the 3rd. It was certainly a need, but not a need worthy of the #20 pick. It is a bit encouraging in that the new brass is taking BPA instead of reaching for needs like Millen did.

I'm freaking shocked that they haven't taken anhyone to play Middle linebacker. They DO NOT HAVE A MLB ON THEIR ROSTER.

BTW, F Matt Stafford.

I'm so happy about getting Raji. I'm still trying to get over the Clay Mathews pick. I don't know what to think about it yet. On one hand it looks like he have all the skills to play and on the other there isn't a huge amount of info on the guy. I'm happy we went Defense-Defense but I don't know if Mathews is worth 2 3rd round picks.

I like the guys the Pats have picked up, but it's interesting that two linebackers that everyone thought BB had woodies for were available and passed up on (Clay Matthews and Conner Barwin).

How in the Blue **** did Evander hood fall to the last pick of the 2nd rd.??????Im baffled at this draft!! F Matt Stafford!

I saw a few that had him going, well... to Pitt at #32. Anywhere from there to high in the second. He and Ron Brace seemed to be rated out similarly, late first/early second. Pitt taking Ziggy where they did wasn't shocking.

As if their pick at #7 wasn't bad enough... the Raiders then took a guy in the 2nd round who almost everyone had pegged as an undrafted guy.

A safety from Ohio University roughly 250 spots higher than he was ranked on most everyone's boards.

:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

The Lions better start things off this morning with defense. Marcus Freeman can step in and start at MLB. Michael Johnson is still on the board too.

The only offensive pick at #65 that I'd be ok with is Duke Robinson.

F Matt Stafford.

I saw a few that had him going, well... to Pitt at #32. Anywhere from there to high in the second. He and Ron Brace seemed to be rated out similarly, late first/early second. Pitt taking Ziggy where they did wasn't shocking.

For some reason I miss read where he was taken I thought he was taken at the end of the second. After I realized it was the end of the first It was right where I expected him.

Did BB just trade Ellis Hobbs for two FIFTH ROUND draft picks? Sorry BB, we love you... but WTF?

(not in panic mode yet... but the Cassell/Vrabel deal and this makes me wonder how much we ARE going to miss Scott Pioli...)

Back