So I forgot my late hop addition...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartangreen

Reaction score
Did I screw this up? Off Flavors to be expected?

I had too many things going on at once and I forgot to add my hops at flame out. (Flame out hops were half my hop bill)
I realized I forgot them while cleaning up, and the wort was chillin'. Temp was at 90F.
So, I decided to get my wort back to boiling, kill the heat add the hops, then chill. I have a turkey fryer, as I was re-heating, I decided this wasn't a good idea-Temp was 150F, I added the hops, then chilled.
More facts
Full boils
American Wheat - Brewing Classic Styles.
Also, I broke my hydrometer cleaning it, so no OG.
It tasted good.

Thoughts...

No worries. In general, though, you'd probably be better off either dry hopping if it's a flameout addition or making a strong hop tea and then adding that to the fermentor.

The only real risk you run here is bumping all of your middle additions (~30min) into early additions, thus bumping the bitterness up a bit more than hoped.

But, aside from some slight recipe consequences like that, there's no reason to expect problems from what you're describing.

There were 60 min and Zero min additions only. I should have just dry hopped. I usually strain the wart when going into the primary to filter out the left over hop material and cold break, but this time I just dumped it all in the carboy.

There were 60 min and Zero min additions only. I should have just dry hopped. I usually strain the wart when going into the primary to filter out the left over hop material and cold break, but this time I just dumped it all in the carboy.

Nothing to worry about. I doubt you'll even notice a difference. :mug:

Back