kegerator build Q?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forcabrew

Reaction score
im in the middle of a kegerator project. converting my mini igloo fridge into a kegerator. i have sucessfully bent the freezer plate down but for some reason when i tested the temperator (which i have set at the lowest setting) with a cup of water inside there is a little ice build up in the cup. it appears to have frozen a small ring at the bottom of the plastic cup. i have used an aquarium thermeter and it reads below 40. should i be worried for the kegs? right now the only thing in there is the plastic cup of water im planning on putting two 5 gallon corney kegs. is this dues to the small amount in the fridge? will two corney kegs hold up? if not what can i do to fix this?

thanks in advance

I built a kegerator from a small fridge. I left the setting like it was before bending the plate down. When the keg got low, it froze it. I took the keg out and put in a cup of water with 2 thermometers in it. I turned the tstat up until I "snuck up" on the temp. I wanted. Put the keg in and it has been spot on since then. Luck - Dwain

im wondering that if i fill up the fridge with kegs and co2 tank would keep the temps down alittle. right now all thats in there is the cup of water in there is only a tiny bit of freezing. fridge is already at its lowest temp.

No matter what you put in there, it will eventually get down to the temp the fridge is set for. If there is a "tiny" bit of freezing, you might be OK. Why not just turn it up a little at a time until it quits freezing? - Dwain

maybe im not explaining this correctly or maybe im just a newb, but its probably a combination of both. the fridge is set at 0 right now and still freezeing a small ring at the bottom of a plastic cup. the highest setting i believe is 6. my understanding is that the higher the number the colder the fridge should get. is that correct?

If you use a temperature controller I think you wouldn't have this issue. Plug the fringe into the controller and leave the probe in the fridge. The controller will cycle the compressor on and off to reach your desired internal temperature.

i have a converted danby kegerator and it has a POS temp controller on it. SOmetimes its 30 degrees insides, soemtimes as high 40F. I never had issues with freezing even when it i have very little in kegs at 30F.

maybe im not explaining this correctly or maybe im just a newb, but its probably a combination of both. the fridge is set at 0 right now and still freezeing a small ring at the bottom of a plastic cup. the highest setting i believe is 6. my understanding is that the higher the number the colder the fridge should get. is that correct?

I've actually seen them both ways. I'll check mine in the shop in a little while. Google the manual for your model or call the mfg. and see what it/they say. If everything else is correct, you probably will have to replace the tstat or use an external controller. Keep us posted. - Dwain

Anybody here ever convert an igloo fridge into a kegerator? my build will start soon:tank:

Back