Yeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are really no horrible consequences to mixing the yeasts. No real great benefits either, though.

You will get some % of the characteristics of each yeast, however, it is far from predictable without some serious research.

Some yeast strains coexist in a fermantation just fine, while other yeasts will actually eat other yeast strains in a fermentation, so without some serious research, it's hard to tell which of those strains will be the dominant strain and what character from each you are exactly going to get.

Also, I don't know the optimum fermentation temps of the Aztec yeast, but if it does not practically allign with the optimum fermentation temps of the Scottish yeast, you'll have to kinda average them out, which may or may not be advantageous depending on the characteristics of each yeast at various temps. For example, you couldn't mix a lager yeast with a Saison yeast at the same fermentation temp without stressing one of the two and encouraging off flavors, because their optimum temp ranges don't intersect.

All in all, I wouldn't mix yeasts unless you have a good reason for doing so, but also, in the end, if you HAVE to mix yeasts, it's still going to make beer, it's just a bit less controlled than it should be.

So why are you mixing yeasts?

Well I'm not mixing them I was just curious to as what would happen you know if it would make some wild concoction or something I don't even know how to collect or make yeast yet lol so I won't be doing it right this second. Till I understand it a little more.

Latest posts

Back