Should I?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louderthanu

Reaction score
Hey all,
I am in the process of making a Belgian tripil I was wondering if I should keg it when fermentation ends or if I should let it wait in the secondary for a bit.

How long has it been in the fermenter? Has the hydrometer reading stayed stable for three days? A little aging on a big beer like that is not a bad thing.

let it sit in secondary. actually, you could have let it sit in primary. in my opinion, there is no need to secondary a tripel. just leave it in primary for 4 weeks, cold-crash, then keg. that way you save yourself the trouble of sanitizing and later cleaning a second fermenter, and you also greatly reduce your risk of infection and oxidation.

belgian yeast strains can be slow to finish - get 80% of the work done in 1 week, and take another week or 2 to do the last 20%. what is your gravity right now? has it been stable?

but regardless, let it sit. you can't rush a belgian.

Once it's done, and has been at FG for at least three days and is starting to clear, you can keg. Or you can age it for a bit first. It doesn't matter, as long as it's starting to clear when you keg/rack/bottle it.

Thanks guys,
it has really just begun it started fermenting within 4hrs and the bg was at the low end for the kit I was going to get a reading again when the fermentation slows down.

Just wanted to see what peoples thoughts were,This is only my second try at this my first was an IPA and it came out great!

Latest posts

Back