WEird taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justinnn

Reaction score
I have done 2 batches since I started doing AG and I am still finding this funny after taste in my beers. It is sort of a seltzer like after taste, even in my low carbonated beer such as a Hefe. I was wondering if anyone had any idea on what might be causing this taste. Maybe its just letting it age longer. Anyway if you need complete details on the brew process here is of my most recent, however with this one i tasted before bottling and the tart flavor was at its strongest, it might disipate:

Grain:

2.5lbs Wheat Malt
2lbs Pils (2-Row)
.5lbs Belgium Munich Malt
2oz. Flaked Wheat
2oz. Rice Hulls
4oz. Flaked Rice
1.5oz. Cara-Pils

Total = 5.6lbs

Hops:

.5 Czech Saaz (60min)
.5 Hallertauer (30min)

Flavorings:

1/2 tsp Coriander seed(crushed) (1min)
1/4 tsp Fresh Orange Zest (5min)

Yeast:

Wheinstephen Wyeast #3068

The mash went as follows:

Strike with 7gt. @127 F
Rest 30 min
Decoct 2qt bring to 167 F and rest for 20 min
Boiled for 27 min
Returned to mash tun, rest @ 150 F 20 min
Decoct 1.5qt and boil for 27 min
Return to Mash tun
Rest 60 min
Sparge with 9qt @ 168 F

Boil:
60 min
Czech Saaz - 60 min
Halletauer - 30 min
Orange zest - 5 min
Coriander Seed (crushed just before adding) 1 min

Water:
Local Farmington River Valley water
strike = 7qt
Sparge = 9qt
Total = 16qt
Grain absorption + boil off (from decoction) ~ 4qt
Pre boil Amount = 12qt
Primary = 10qt
Currently Primary @ 68 F

-Justin

Have you considered going to a single infusion mash?

I would be concerned with pulling astringents with all those boiling steps, which are not at all necessary with properly modified grains.

I have used a similar recipe several times with great results the only difference being your complicated mash schedule. I mash at 155 F for 1 hour then sparge around 170.

That recipe and process is like trying to qualify for the Indy 500 a week after getting your driver's license. How about a 2-grain, single hop APA using a single infusion then take the training wheels off after you make something drinkable.

Oh, and hefe's should have high carbonation, not low.

Bobby_M said:
That recipe and process is like trying to qualify for the Indy 500 a week after getting your driver's license. How about a 2-grain, single hop APA using a single infusion then take the training wheels off after you make something drinkable..

Great analogy! I too recommend something simple that has a high probability of turning out good beer. It lets you work on your fundamentals and you build confidence as you make nice drinkable beer.

Experimenting with complex mash method, using adjuncts, spices and multiple hops just add way to many variables to the process, each adding a chance for things to go South.

yea I am going to brew another simple 2 grain batch again and see. My first two were simple, a peach ale with 2-row and crystal and then an IPA with 2-row crystal and some special roast. I Had the same problem though. Perhaps fermentation temperature is my problem? I now have a celer that maintains a constant 68 degrees in the summer and before I was keeping my primary's ina closet that probably fluctuated between 65 and 75 degrees.

-Justin

Back