What to Brew: Ambient Fermentation Temp ~58

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strave19

Reaction score
Hi Everybody. I need some suggestions. I'm itching to brew but its cooled down around here and our house only stays at about 58-60 ambient these days. Its kind of the weird range that is too warm for lagers and too cold for most ale yeast. Not really looking to do temp control as I only have a small spot in the kitchen to ferment. Kolsch would fit the bill but its not my favorite style... Suggest away! :mug:

I'm pretty sure US05 can handle those ranges. Remember, the beer is actually warmer than the ambient temps during fermentation. Fermentation creates heat. But if your still worried about it, wrap it in a blanket or towels or something. Or near a heating vent

Recommended fermentation temperature is 59-75F, it should ferment slowly and you won’t get the tasty ale ester achieved at higher temperatures. Should taste very clean

cali common would be a good option. S-05, S-04 and notty should all be fine for whatever style at that temp as well. I believe Brett would work as well if you wanna go funky

Something that will benefit from a cold ferment temp. Maybe a hefe or rogue dead guy ale. Even a weizenbock would be nice at that temp.

Why is your house 58 degrees? My wife thinks we're freezing to death at 70.

Are you now, or have you ever been a mountain cabin dweller?

I'm in the same boat (I don't know why we do it either. It's not a manliness thing or a cheapskate thing - I just like to wait as long as possible before turning on the heat. Maybe it's a stupidity thing?)

Anyway, I have three batches with US05 that happily chugged away in those same temps and all reached projected FG in under a week no problem. And as was mentioned above, scottish ales love those temps.

Why is your house 58 degrees? My wife thinks we're freezing to death at 70.

Are you now, or have you ever been a mountain cabin dweller?

thats what I was thinking. How the hell people can live in such a cold environment. I start to get cold when I lower thermostat just 1 F from 72

My basement is 58 right now. I'm going to try to start a Belgian strong ale and then move it up to the 70 degree main floor a couple days into fermentation to finish it.

paraordnance said:
thats what I was thinking. How the hell people can live in such a cold environment. I start to get cold when I lower thermostat just 1 F from 72

I don't know about the OP, but I'm a lifelong Wisconsin resident of Swedish and Norwegian heritage. This ain't cold.

I remember watching the Wisconsin vs Miami bowl game on TV couple years ago. It was 55 at the stadium - the Miami fans were bundled up in big coats and blankets and the Wisconsin fans were in T-shirts because it felt like a warm spring day!

I don't know about the OP, but I'm a lifelong Wisconsin resident of Swedish and Norwegian heritage. This ain't cold.

I remember watching the Wisconsin vs Miami bowl game on TV couple years ago. It was 55 at the stadium - the Miami fans were bundled up in big coats and blankets and the Wisconsin fans were in T-shirts because it felt like a warm spring day!

Well I from Canada, they calling for 3 F tonight and I completelly fine with it since -31 F is not uncommon here during winters. But there is no way I can get in a bed if its any lower than 70 F around my house :)

Haha! Thanks for the concern guys! Its mostly a financial thing... My girlfriend and I are renting a house that was built in the 40's and has terrible insulation - we left the thermostat at 59 last year and still had some really expensive heating bills. We're both grad students so any money we can save is a good thing. I grew up in Iowa and Montana, so the cold doesn't bother me too much, I'm just amazed that she rarely complains even when shes decked out in full sweater/coat/scarf and down slippers indoors...

Thanks for all of the suggestions. A lot of wyeast ale yeasts have their min temp around 60-64. I'm not a big fan of under attenuated beer. I might have to try that scottish ale strain - I've never used it!

Our bodies do better at losing heat. My ac is a nice 76 year round.

I hear you. I'm a Dane, living in Ohio, so I'm not as hardcore as you might be, but I used to keep the thermostat set at 58 during the winter. Why waste money heating it warmer than that? Now that I'm living with my fiancee, who is from Oklahoma, I've had to begrudgingly agree to a 65 degree setting when it's cold. If your yeast underperform at these temps, find a new yeast that isn't weak.:p

Back