Secondary temps--Search gives conflicting info

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xcap

Reaction score
Have found conflicting info while searching for info on secondary temps. Some items say the temps should be warm/the same as the primary fermentation while other items state that cooler is ok???? Have moved a light ale from primary @68-70 degrees to the secondary in basement at @55-58 degrees. What would be the consensus from this forum? Is this a good/bad/indifferent move?

What I've been told is after primary fermentation is complete, the temperature of a secondary is insignificant (as long as it's not like 100F or something outrageous).

Most of your (if not all) off-flavors come during the rigorous fermentation period. After fermentation has ceased, the temperature is not a cause for major concern.

It depends on whether or not you want to lager your beer. If you want to lager, chill it down to as close to freezing as you can. Otherwise, just keep it at ambient temperatures (as long as they aren't too ridiculously high).

A secondary is really just a storage vessel for the beer while you wait for it to clear or whatever. So, any temp that is fine for storing beer will be fine for keeping your secondary, though cooler (like cellar temps ~ 55F) is probably better. I like to keep my secondary-ing beer in my fermentation fridge if I have room. Otherwise, it goes in my coat closet, which is at room temp.

Long story short, as long as you don't freeze it or let it get too hot, the beer will be just fine.

You want the temperature to be within the yeasts active range. That's about it. Cooler is just fine and may even be better for avoiding yeast cell decay and associated problems if storing for a long time.

Cold crashing can be a very useful tool and is the ale equivalent to lagering. Basically just drop the temp down to something like 36º for a week before transferring to kegs or bottling. It will clear the beer and help with age stability as well as help clear the beer.

Latest posts

Back