Moving with filled fermentors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jarov

Reaction score
I'll be moving about 30 minutes away in the coming weeks and I was wondering how I could bring a fermentor that is filled with beer without it jostling about and getting aerated. Do you think I'll be fine just tossing in the back of my car?

Carboy or pail?

If it's a carboy, the only gas inside at the moment should be CO2, so oxidation would only be a concern if you somehow introduced plain old air into the carboy. That said, if it were me, I'd take off the airlock and cover the mouth of the carboy with 2 or 3 layers of (sanitized) aluminum foil, wrapped tightly around the carboy opening and held in place with a couple strong rubber bands. Once settled into the new place, I'd put the airlock back on.

Carboy or pail?

If it's a carboy, the only gas inside at the moment should be CO2, so oxidation would only be a concern if you somehow introduced plain old air into the carboy. That said, if it were me, I'd take off the airlock and cover the mouth of the carboy with 2 or 3 layers of (sanitized) aluminum foil, wrapped tightly around the carboy opening and held in place with a couple strong rubber bands. Once settled into the new place, I'd put the airlock back on.

Wouldn't you be concerned about the off-gassing building up enough pressure inside your carboy to break the seal (or the foil)?

Carboy or pail?

Carboy, and that was an option for me, so I may end up doing that. Makes sense more than potentially having liquid from the airlock run back into the beer, although I use vodka for my air locks.

Yeah, you'll be fine. I lug carboys back n forth to brew club events and work w/o issue. I just fasten them in in the back seat and drive extra carefully. If it's not actively fermenting, just pop in an undrilled bung for the trip. If it's still fermenting, just transport gently as is, if it's star san or alcohol in the airlock, there's no real worry.

Glad to hear I shouldn't run into any problems if all goes well, thanks everyone.

Back