Weak flame when both burners lit - bg14

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdchampion

Reaction score
Hey, I'm looking for some advice or experience of others to figure out if I have a problem with my brutus set-up. I'm using BG14 burners for both HLT and MT, each burner is controlled by a LOVE temperature controller, honeywell solenoid with a standing pilot, marshall low pressure regulator, and low pressure orifice valve from brewershardware.com. A few questions or concerns:

1. My flames don't seem to be incredibly strong when one burner is running. The burner is pretty quiet and the flames are only about 1" tall at most. Is this typical? I've tried drilling out the original orifices to 3/32" (i think that's the recommended size) but it didn't seem to make a difference.

2. when both my HLT and MT are running, the flames drop down to amost nothing. Am i limited by the amount of gas that can go through the regulator?

I haven't done any testing to see how long it takes to boil a full 10 gallon batch, so maybe I'm just worrying and it's a kick butt system, but it just doesn't feel like there's power there.

Thanks for the insight and experiences you can provide!

Brent

Is that natural gas or propane? For natural gas I have mine drilled out to 1/8".

Propane. I think i even tried a 1/8" orifice and it still didn't seem to make a difference. I've read about people messing around with the spring adjustment as well, but I tried that (went through the entire span of spring compression/adjustment) and it didn't change anything.

I don't use the individual regulators etc.. so I can't comment on adjusting regulator springs, but I can think of 1 kind of dumb problem. If your using a BBQ tank and you open it too fast , you can trip the internal blow off valve and get just a whisper of gas.

Also, make sure all valves are closed, including your pilots, when you open your supply valve. If they are open when you open the supply valve, you will have problems.

A couple things to check, if you do not have the green colored tank adapter and have the black version, change to the higher flow green unit. Have you changed to the LP spring and set the honeywell valve internal regulator, that will limit flame size as they usually come setup for NG and should have a bag of small parts for conversion (heavier spring and different colored retainer). Here is a link to the manual http://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/pdf/PackedLit/69-0234.pdf

Latest posts

Back