I don't know what happened...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skibb

Reaction score
So I'm brewing probably my tenth batch on my buddies brew magic system - this time it's a dark English mild.

The brewday went fine - hit my numbers as far as we could tell... The only problem was when my refractometer fracted the hell out - instead of showing any blue it was totally white - even without any fluid on the glass. We thought we saw a very faint line and we both had the same numbers, but who knows . We would have taken a hydro sample but he broke our last one a few brew days ago.

Used some of the wort from the run off to wake the yeasties up by chilling it down to room temp and pitching the smack pack (at that point it had been smacked about 4 hours prior and didn't really swell at all). We pitched about two hours after chilling the entire batch of wort down - both the starter and wort were the same temp (67F).

Four days later there were no signs of fermentation. So I figured something was wrong with yeast and I went and bought some dry Nottingham yeast, properly rehydrated it and pitched. 5 days later, still no signs of fermentation. I have no idea what the hell is up. I just bought a hydrometer and took a reading and it read 1.038 (which was my target original gravity).

Is there something that could have gotten into my wort that wouldn't allow yeast to convert? Or somehow something messed up during the mash/sparge that killed any fermentable sugars? I mashed at 153F. I have no clue what is up, nothing this mysterious has ever happened to me. I'm not going to dump it just yet b/c I really want to figure out what caused this.

Hmm that is really strange. Unless your OG was higher then 1.038 by mistake or something. Whats the temp of the place where you have it stored

Back