What Yeast to use WLP001 or Wyeast 1056??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FishH2o

Reaction score
I’m going to brew the A to Z Brown Ale out of Sam Calagione’s book Extreme Brewing. I have been reading up on the wyeast 1056 and White Labs 001 (California Ale) yeast and I like the sound of the both. Which one of the two strains would you all use if you had to choose?

Thanks,

FishH2o
:rockin:

They are pretty similiar. Check the S-05/WLP001/Wyeast 1056 'similar thread' at the bottom of this page. All will produce a clean ale. I am a big fan of S-05 just for storage and not having to make a starter.

Most of the thread was about the S-05. I think I am going to run with the WLP001 for this batch. Infact I'm going to go make my starter right now :)

They are pretty similiar. Check the S-05/WLP001/Wyeast 1056 'similar thread' at the bottom of this page. All will produce a clean ale. I am a big fan of S-05 just for storage and not having to make a starter.

Thanks!!
:mug:

I have used both, and it could be my amateur perception, but I think the WLP001 came out a little clearer.

Sweet!! I just put the WLP001 in a starter. So I will let yall know which one I like in about 8 weeks.

Sometimes it's nice to use two (or more!) different (potentially smaller) fermenters to really gauge the effect of different yeasts on the final product. Homebrewing IMO isn't nearly as fun or even worth it if you're not going to experiment and find things out for yourself, and when comparing yeasts its not really much more work to end up with something you can compare side-to-side, unlike, say, tweaking mash temps/steps, hop schedules, etc.

WLP001 = 1056 = US-05. It's all the same yeast. The difference is that US-05 stores better, lasts longer (for ever?), it's less then half the price and doesn't need a starter. As far as the difference strictly between WLP001 and 1056, there is none. Except, if you use WYeast Activator size, you don't need a starter for an average size batch, at least according to their website.

WLP001 = 1056 = US-05. It's all the same yeast. The difference is that US-05 stores better, lasts longer (for ever?), it's less then half the price and doesn't need a starter. As far as the difference strictly between WLP001 and 1056, there is none. Except, if you use WYeast Activator size, you don't need a starter for an average size batch, at least according to their website.

So they are the exact same strain? I've read where some people say the WLP001 seem to have a cleaner beer.

Thank you for your response :) I will defiantly try both. I made a starter yesterday with the WLP001 yesterday I will be using first but I will let yall know what i think of both of them!

:tank:

Sometimes it's nice to use two (or more!) different (potentially smaller) fermenters to really gauge the effect of different yeasts on the final product. Homebrewing IMO isn't nearly as fun or even worth it if you're not going to experiment and find things out for yourself, and when comparing yeasts its not really much more work to end up with something you can compare side-to-side, unlike, say, tweaking mash temps/steps, hop schedules, etc.

Very true! I like the idea of having smaller batches with different yeast. I might go ahead and do that! Thanks for the idea. I will let you know what I decide!

Thanks,
FishH2o

I've tried really hard to discern the differences (side-by-side batches, etc.), and my only conclusion is that my palate isn't good enough to tell, or that they really are all the same. Now I just use US-05 because it's way more convenient.

Latest posts

Back