store in a keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougbo

Reaction score
Got a fridge, tower, etc. and finished my 3 keg set-up this weekend. Its GREAT! I couldn't wait to keg so I took an IPA that was in the primary, put it out in the cold garage for a few days to help it settle some, and kegged/carbonated my first brew. Three days later I drew my first draft and it's great. I've got a pale ale in the primary now and plan on doing the same thing for keg #2. I just finished brewing an oatmeal stout and will have keg #3 down the road. My question is this....I'd like to use my 4th keg as a back-up ready to go into the fridge when keg #1 is empty. Can I just rack a brew to the 4th keg, purge the air off the top with CO2, and leave it sit in my cool..60 degrees..basement until it can go in to the fridge? Should I carbonate it and let it sit until I need it? How long will it keep unrefridgerated? Thanks

As long as you purge the air out of it, it's basically a stainless secondary vessel. It'll last months.

Thanks..Though I won't transfer it to the keg until the fermentation is good and done, I know there will be some slight fermentation as it sits for an extended period of time. Should I occassionally release the pressure to the keg because it may sit for awhile ?

You can. If it's done fermenting, the little bit wont matter. I'll just be slighly carbonated already when you hook up the CO2. My guess is that it wouldn't be that much anyways.

I wouldn't worry about the pressure. The kegs have pressure release valves that would pop before the keg exploded!:drunk:

I'd put on about 30psi and store in a cool place until you're ready for it. Keep in mind that you may have some yeast sediment on the first few pulls due to no secondary, but many people do their secondaries in a cornie and live with the sediment.

You could also get a chest freezer and thermo controller and cellar "some" extra kegs so they'd be ready to go right in the kegger when the first ones blow.:p

Nice work on the bar.
:mug:

dougbo said:
Can I just rack a brew to the 4th keg, purge the air off the top with CO2, and leave it sit in my cool..60 degrees..basement until it can go in to the fridge?

Yes. I do it just like that for allmy kegged brews. I try to have at least one full keg sitting in the back of the cellar waiting to carb.

Some will use a keg as a secondary fermentor, I consider mine a tertiary. Either way, fermentation is done so there is no need to vent any pressure. The safety won't pop till 130PSI.

At 60F, you're good for 3-4 months at least. Burp the kegs before you hookup to the CO2, otherwise you might get backflow into the regulator.

Back