Need Crystal Malt for head retention w/ Extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imp81318

Reaction score
I am working on a recipe for a blonde ale using Pale LME. I have read that pale LME is made from crystal malt and obviously crystal malt is used for head retention and body. So, if my base extract is pale LME, do I need crystal malt as well, or will the extract already have the necessary properties necessary for the head retention and body?

Also, how do I know which grains can be used beneficially by steeping as 'specialty grains' and which ones require mashing?

I don't think they're lost in the extract production process. I've made a lot of beers with LME & DME & no grains & got good head. It's all in the dissolved proteins to form the head, which is driven by the carbonation in the glass. Here's a couple pics of my AE beers as evidence;
Buckeye Burton ale;

Sunset Gold PA;

& my 1st, Cooper's OS lager;

I've never had a head retention problem yet, but I've very seldom made an extract only batch, most have had steeping grains so I wasn't sure what the deal would be for a batch without some steeping grains.

Back