Stout Ice Cream Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kskiles

Reaction score
Has anybody made Stout Ice Cream?

Just put together my 2nd batch. I have a Rival home ice cream machine that uses ice and salt around the container and an electric motor assembly that fits on the top to churn the mix.

I have made other ice cream in this machine (no beer in the recipe) and it comes out like a frozen custard. However, I can not get the stout recipe to set up like custard in the machine. I have to take it out of the container and put it in the freezer for 24-48 hours to get it to set up.

Might anybody have an idea as to how to get the ice/salt mixture cold enough to freeze the mixture? I am guessing that the alcohol from the stout lowers the freezing point of the mixture below what is achievable with the ice/salt.

Was just thinking that if you used unfermented wort for the ice cream, you'd still have some sweetness from the wort in it. Plus the grains and such, just not the yeast, flavors. All good stuff too.

I might be looking to get an ice cream machine post move. IF I do, I think I'll have to give this a try. Might try it with my mocha porter recipe, and then put it over a fudge brownie. :D :drunk:

Of course, there has to be a way to get it to set when using finished beer... Well, without taking over two days that is.

...However, I can not get the stout recipe to set up like custard in the machine. I have to take it out of the container and put it in the freezer for 24-48 hours to get it to set up.

Might anybody have an idea as to how to get the ice/salt mixture cold enough to freeze the mixture? I am guessing that the alcohol from the stout lowers the freezing point of the mixture below what is achievable with the ice/salt.

With the added alcohol the freezing temp will definitely be lower. I think giving more time like you are doing is your easiest option. Ice/Salt mix will get well below freezing, but it probably needs more time (and maybe more thermal energy from the freezer) to over come the effect of the alcohol.

I have not tried to make Stout ice cream (great idea though!), but here is what I think might work out better: Mix some wort, rather than finished beer into the ice cream recipe to get the taste you want.

Many years ago Kolher WI did Ice cream Stouts, They also did Stout floats sounded bad to me as don't care for alot of sweets when drinking. Ice Cream was to sweet for me ends up more like coffee ice cream, the float was just awesome. Make a good vanilla with bean and add scoop to the top of stout.

Golddiggie said:
Of course, there has to be a way to get it to set when using finished beer... Well, without taking over two days that is.

hold it at °190 for a for a time until the alcohol boils out? maybe a little caramelization wouldn't hert either ;) you think adding the sugar the recipe calls for or the mix comes with would bring out the malts? love me some roasty malts! keeping the bitterness would be awesome too :mug:

hold it at °190 for a for a time until the alcohol boils out? maybe a little caramelization wouldn't hert either ;) you think adding the sugar the recipe calls for or the mix comes with would bring out the malts? love me some roasty malts! keeping the bitterness would be awesome too :mug:

Maybe use both some finished/fermented beer as well as some reserved wort? You'll get the malty sweetness from the reserved wort, but the flavors the yeast adds, as well as what comes from fermenting, with the finished beer.

I suspect I'll be getting an ice cream maker soon after moving into my new place (expect to have it locked in before the end of the week, early next at the outside). Might give it a shot with some of my mocha porter to see how that translates. :rockin: At 9% ABV, if I don't cook off the alcohol, it will have a little kick to it.

Oh, my, that sounds so good. And I don't even like ice cream. :drunk:

I think putting it in the freezer for 24 hours to set up more may be the simplest way to go- I think it's the alcohol that won't allow it to freeze solid in the ice cream freezer.

What's the ice cream recipe? Adding non-dairy liquids to ice cream recipes can throw things off, too.

I don't like my ice cream really hard. Not talking soft serve, just soft enough so that it's easy to scoop without issue.

Maybe toss some chocolate chunks into the mocha ice cream as it's churning. mmmmm Going to have to learn how to make the base first, then start experimenting. :D

I think cooking off the alcohol is going to be the key. While you are at it go ahead and reduce some stout to a syrup and add a little chocolate syrup to it. Makes a wonderful ice cream topping!

Recipe:

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Stout-Ice-Cream

The first batch I did actually called for Guiness Foreign Extra Stout. That batch did not want to freeze in the chest freezer, took it 3 days to finally set up. The recipe above only took overnight. I used a vanilla bourbon stout in this most recent batch.

I like the idea of reducing the stout (and getting rid of the anti-freeze properties). Might have to try that next.

Looks pretty easy to me. Then again, I've been cooking for a few decades already. :D I know an ice cream base is essentially a custard, which can make it easy to modify. I also have some vanilla extract in the making (at home) and have plenty of whole beans that I could use.

Some people at the recent brew club meeting did just that. (made floats). I took several bottles of the stout used in the ice cream and used it (the stout ice cream) to make floats. I sampled and it was pretty awesome.

Latest posts

Back