mr.beer keg for wine?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redstar89

Reaction score
Oh hello there, I've use a Mr.beer keg to make a 2 gallon batch of wine. any tips on how to improve the wine ? There is something else I would like to ask sense i used the keg for wine can it ever be used for beer now?

How did you make the wine?

And yes, you can use the keg to make beer again if you want. Just wash it thoroughly.

welches frozen. and here's one more thing I had some others in a box "bottled 100% welches "well fruit fly's got in. So stuiped me took some toilet paper sprayed it with insect repellent put over box. think the repellent could have gotten in the bottles they are fermenting heavily with caps on lose. Sorry I'm a worry wort

Hmm, wine with insect repellent in it.... I'd pass on that one myself.

If you aren't already, then be sure to use brewers yeast of some kind for you beer/wine/mead/cider/zombie repellent. Bread yeast makes horrible brewed anything.

Pectin enzyme and a clarifier like bentonite or gelatin would be a good idea. There is a water soluble carbohydrate in practically all fruit called pectin. If it stays in the brew it will cloud it. Pectin enzyme breaks it into sugar. Bentonite is a pretty common clarifier for wine. It's got a strong negative charge, so other particulates in suspension are attracted to it. They start clumping together and end up heavy enough to fall out of suspension.

A couple of fermentors that seals well wouldn't be a terrible idea either. That should keep the fruit flies out. If you want to be extra paranoid about it, fill your airlock with vodka or some other strong spirit. With more then one fermentor you can move your brew off of the yeast cake in the bottom of the container. That will help with clearing, and get a lot of the yeast out of the brew. Yeast is nice for a wheat beer, but not much else that's fermented benefits from it in the brew after it's done.

If your process is as basic as it sounds, then there are a lot of ways you can improve things at this point.

Latest posts

Back