First time brewing today hoping it works

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

46binder

Reaction score
First time brewing with my brother-in-law today, we got a full-grain setup off craigslist. We bought a Brewers best Red Ale kit from local brewing supply store, it was from a fresh delivery this week. I had soaked everything overnight in oxyclean, and rinsed. I used bleach and rinsed and rinsed, not the brew keg or stainless. Followed the directions, only till the end, said cool wort down to approx. 70deg, he was running short on time(works 2nd shift), and started siphoning into carboy at about 76-78, and had some room temp water in carboy already. Added more water, up to 5 gal. mark, checked specific gravity and adjusted for temp, and it was 1.07, called for OG 1.048-1.052, so added more water. 2nd gravity check was 1.066, added more and now its 1.042:( Big deal? Last was directions for pitching yeast sprinkling, we followed yeast packet with 100ml 78deg water for 15 min.

I hope it turns out, tastes great, but can't wait 5-6 weeks to try it. I would like to try another 1-2 batches in that 5-6 weeks, but concerned what if we really screwed something up in this batch and do the same in the next two? I guess we'll try anyway as long as we have a little more time next batch? I had fun, looking forward to it, in the meantime I have to drink some Sam Adams for the bottles:cross:

When you're doing partial boils, it might be easier to measure the SG of the boiled wort and calculate the OG based on the volume of that wort.

You can get the volume a number of ways: measure the height of the wort in the kettle and multiply that by the diameter of the pot and pi, weigh the wort in the kettle & the kettle alone, make volumetric markings on your kettle or carboy.

The OG is in lbs/gallon. Multiply the reading by the volume of the wort and divide by 5 to get full volume OG.

1.042 compared to 1.048 is nothing. You're talking about 0.8% of ABV in the end.

Then I guess we shouldn't be to concerned about the OG, but I was thinking , the long tube thingy that was in the stuff we got to get the sample for the specific gravity stuff, didn't quite reach the bottom. Missed it by that much. Could there be a difference in the reading if it went down and touched the bottom? I know the second reading will be taken same as the first for comparrison.

Cleaning and sanitizing was alot of work, but I didn't think it was overall difficult. Easy to say right now, wait till its done. Really itching to try all grain, we have the stuff. Until then trying to find a good 2nd brew.

Bottled today, final gravity was 1.01, what it was supposed to be. Sampled it and obviously flat, tastes like beer, good flavor no off tastes, but alittle 'watery', obviously from adding too much water at the beginning. Spent alot of time santizing bottles, so far pleased with results, looking forward to next batch, picked out a IPA from Northern.

When you're doing partial boils, it might be easier to measure the SG of the boiled wort and calculate the OG based on the volume of that wort.

You can get the volume a number of ways: measure the height of the wort in the kettle and multiply that by the diameter of the pot and pi, weigh the wort in the kettle & the kettle alone, make volumetric markings on your kettle or carboy.

The OG is in lbs/gallon. Multiply the reading by the volume of the wort and divide by 5 to get full volume OG.

So.......... Hey!! :mug:

I am a newbie around here and this made me so confused. I am only using basics right now but how do I find information like this so I know what this all means?

#helpagirlout

Peace. Love. & Beer.
:mug: CHEERS! :mug:

ASassyBeerChick83 said:
So.......... Hey!! :mug:

I am a newbie around here and this made me so confused. I am only using basics right now but how do I find information like this so I know what this all means?

#helpagirlout

Peace. Love. & Beer.
:mug: CHEERS! :mug:

What is it specifically that you're trying to know? I recommend you just hang out for awhile, read some threads, browse Palmer's online brewing info, ask some questions. In 6 months you'll know more about brewing then you'll probably ever need. ;)

What is it specifically that you're trying to know? I recommend you just hang out for awhile, read some threads, browse Palmer's online brewing info, ask some questions. In 6 months you'll know more about brewing then you'll probably ever need. ;)

;) I figure so.....
I just keep reading thread after thread to learn anything... :)
I have Palmer's book.... :rockin:
I will keep reading..... ;)

Thanks! :rockin:

Peace. Love. & Beer.
:mug: CHEERS!! :mug:

You might stay away from the bleach next time. Also, I have heard others say that they use oxiclean but I prefer starsan.

Oxyclean is a good cleaner, not really a sanitizer although 9 times out of 10 its probably fine, its that 10th time that is the killer. I do oxyclean and then sanitizer (Iodophor or starsan). Stay away from bleach as residual chlorine makes nasty off tastes, or so I've heard.

Brewitt said:
Stay away from bleach as residual chlorine makes nasty off tastes, or so I've heard.

I can confirm it. Although it was from using chlorinated water, not bleach in cleaning. Cloves n' band aids. I bleach my brewing buckets about every 4th time, then soak in water, then sanitize before use, but ordinarily bleach is pretty hard to rinse off.

We used oxyclean then bleach the first time for the carboy and utensils, but for the bottles we picked up Io-star, the LHBS was out of starsan.

Back