Low OG on IPA should add something to kick it up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_Thadeus_Toad

Reaction score
So I brewed my first IPA but the OG was lower then expected. It was at 1.042 I expected it to be around 1.065. Should I add some DME or Candi Syrup to give it a boost or should I just let it do its thing? I'm afraid it will jyst be a hoppy pale ale rather then a ipa. any thoughts.

5 gal batch

8 lbs 2 row
2 lbs C30
2 lbs Wheat Malt

Mash at 155º F

0.5 oz Perle, 60 min
1.0 oz EACH Perle, Willamette, & Cascade, 20 min
1.0 oz EACH Willamette & Cascade, 10 min
1.0 oz EACH Willamette & Cascade, flameout

Some sugar of some sort probably wouldnt be out of character, the first couple IPA's I did (a long while ago) were too sweet for my taste, so I started adding some sugar (I like turbinado, though I'd like to try honey sometime) and I liked the way they turned out.

thats alot of crystal malt for an IPA, plus a high mash temp to boot. some sugar (up to 1lb) would certainly be in order for this to get it to dry out more. id bring it up the rest of the way with extract if you want to hit your intended OG.

The high mash temp is at least some (maybe all) of the reason for your low OG.

Couple of pounds of dextrose once fermentation slows down will give you the extra gravity points you seek while drying your beer out and lightening the body, all good things for IPAs.

I vote for 1 lb of honey and however much DME it would take to reach your ideal gravity. Just be sure to dissolve the DME before adding it.

thanks for all the help, I ended up using a little over .5# of DME and 1/3# amber candi sugar, its what i had on hand. We will see what happens. again thanks for the help.

Back