Another bad beer thread..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmendo2005

Reaction score
Hey guys first off sorry again for this basic thread, but I made a holiday ale, let it sit for about 2 weeks until it was done. Bottled it in twist cap bottles(I know, I know) and let it sit, after 2 weeks tried one was good, good head, good taste, just needed to mellow a little. Waited a few more days than put them in the fridge for about a week and a half. Went to drink them yesterday and found none of them had a head or a yeast sediment unlike the other one. It also tasted a little off with the after taste and was a little carbed but undercarbed. Thought itd be a bacteria eating the yeast or something but tried the other non-refridgerated bottles and they seemed perfect. Any ideas?

If the one you tried at room temp was fine after you tried one that was in the fridge for a week and a half it sounds like it's just not done yet. Let it sit at room temp a little longer.

You are most likely just fine, and just need to wait a bit. What I think happened was that they had carbed up a bit, but not fully. A bottle of beer at room temperature will seem like it's more carbonated than a cold one because less CO2 is in the solution. So you had one that was not fully carbonated, but it was warm, and then you put them in the fridge, which stopped any fermentation, so when you tried again 1 1/2 weeks later, you were basically trying the same beer, just cold. That's my guess, anyway. I'd say take those suckers out of the fridge, wait a day, then turn them upside down and back upright (just to mix up the yeast a little) and let them sit for another two weeks.

You also may have not mixed your bottling sugar into solution well enough, so some have sugar, and some don't.

If you had something funky, it'd most likely have the opposite effect, fermenting it more than you wanted instead of less.

Huh gotcha, thanks alot for the information I'll definitely give it a try thanks a ton!

Latest posts

Back