Still fermenting 2.5 months later?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharkman20

Reaction score
I have an orange blossom mead that has been sitting in primary for roughly two and a half months, that still seems to be actively fermenting and is still almost as cloudy as the day I pitched. I started out with an OG of 1.136 with plenty of aeration and 1 tsp of fermaid K. I pitched montrachet yeast which I hear is a somewhat fast fermenter.

Well, I'm still seeing active yeast and bubbles on the surface of the mead like how it was the first couple weeks it was in primary. After the first 3 weeks, the bubbles died down and airlock activity dropped. After another month it seems that it is becoming active again and continuing the fermentation so I've left it in primary and haven't touched it, thinking it will subside and clear. Temps have ranged between 66 and 68 degrees for the duration. Also, some yeast has dropped out to the bottom of the carboy, but there's only maybe 1/4 inch of lees at the bottom which is significantly less than anything else I've made.

I haven't taken a gravity reading yet, but I will be doing that this weekend. Anyone else ever experience this before?

I've had mead go for 90 days+ it's not that unusual.

Mead does have a tendency to stall out sometimes and that can be a problem.

Take a gravity reading this week and take another one next week, that will give you the info you need.

Kind of ironic how this possibly pertains, I was talking to a local guy that has 20+ years of mead making experince earlier today and he told me a story about a batch that he had that would stop and restart litterally for a few years.

So I doubt anything is wrong with your batch. I'd just watch it, keep up on gravity readings and when it's where you want it reack to a secondary, bulk age it maybe for a little longer than initially anticipated before considering going to bottles.

But then I am new at this, still working on my first batch so maybe relying on the advice of the more experienced people would be better :D

Back