oak aged

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huck-E-bear

Reaction score
I just brewed a lambic and I wanted to age it in an oak barrel and I was curious about how long is long enough or if there is too long with beer.

You can do this but there is an easier way to go about it.
This is what I would do, buy oak chips from your homebrew store, they sell them all over the city here.

They normally come in a small package not much bigger than your hand. One package is enough for 5 gallon batch, they also have toasted oak vs regular which will add some colour perhaps.

The chips you can easily sanitize, boil water toss the chips in for 2-3 mins then strain and ziploc until ready. Toss then right into secondary or use sanitized hop bag.

I would age it for 14-20 days. Some people will say this is too long, if you want oak taste, you want oak taste. Cut it back to 7 days for a lighter taste.

You can also use 1/2 a cup of Crown Royal Whisky and soak the oak chips for 10 days strain and toss to secondary

If you do age in a barrel it will be much longer than on chips. Even though there is more wood in a betray there is less end Grain which slows the process down and creates a superior product. Also plan on extra beer to top off the barrel since you will have to top it off sue to evaporation.

bourbon makes everything better, not canadian whiskey :)

Canadian whiskey is the one and only whiskey, I know irishman that have moved here just to brag about our whiskey.
That is all.

Yes, the chips are quicker to age with which also make it more appealing.

Thanks guys. I will try the chips in my stout that's finishing up and see if that's the route I want to go. Buj I like the idea of barrel aging. Another thing is I have never heard of or had good canadien whiskey... bourbon and single malt scotchs!

Thanks guys. I will try the chips in my stout that's finishing up and see if that's the route I want to go. Buj I like the idea of barrel aging. Another thing is I have never heard of or had good canadien whiskey... bourbon and single malt scotchs!

lol it was somewhat of a joke, except I do believe canadian whisky is far better than any other. Forty creek whisky is heavenly. I will actually buy a bottle of a fine (expensive) canadian whisky and bring it down for you.
I must warn you I normally drink it to the bottom when with a friend.

Ozzfest05 said:
lol it was somewhat of a joke, except I do believe canadian whisky is far better than any other. Forty creek whisky is heavenly. I will actually buy a bottle of a fine (expensive) canadian whisky and bring it down for you.
I must warn you I normally drink it to the bottom when with a friend.

Don't you threaten me!! I will meet you with some of kentuckys finest!

Back