Any advice on homemade liqueur making?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spasticteapot

Reaction score
I'm trying to make some homemade liqueurs, and was wondering if I could improve somewhat on the rather crude traditional methods. I'm doing this by the lazy-and-legal method: in short, buying commercial alcohol and flavoring it with various fruits spices, and whatnot. However, simply dumping a bunch of fruit in some vodka, waiting a few weeks, then discarding the fruit does not seem to be an efficient use of time and resources.

So far, all I've made is a homemade aquavit, which, aside from being a sort of amber yellow, was pretty spectacular. If you have any good recipes, feel free to share them. :D

Anywho, I have the following questions:

1. Purification of base alcohol. Cheap liquor - say, Popov - greatly decreases the cost of the end result, but can give it a funny flavor. (I've never actually tried using anything other than half-decent booze - I'm new to this, and don't feel like waiting three weeks only to find out I've made something that tastes like shoe polish because I was too cheap to buy decent ingredients.)

I've constructed a rather basic filter out of a piece of pipe capped with mesh and filled with food-grade activated charcoal. Short of fractional distillation, can anyone else suggest techniques to allow the use of cheap base alcohols?

2. Pureeing of fruit ingredients. My first two attempts at fruit liqueurs - dried cherries in vodka and fresh mango in rum, both several weeks away from being ready to drink - I made by placing the fruit and alcohol ingredients in a blender and turning them into a slurry. While this may potentially increase the difficulty of extracting liquid from solids, I feel that the increase in surface area will allow for greater flavor in less infusion time and potentially allow for a more efficient extraction of liquid.

The main problem with pureeing is the removal of pulp from the finished product. I'm hoping to run the liquid through a series of filters - first a coarse mesh, then cheesecloth, then a coffee filter - to remove insoluble substances, then use some sort of press to extract the juice. I'm a student and don't have any space for a traditional cider press, and was hoping someone could suggest an alternative.

3. Infusion conditions. I've read conflicting information on the optimum conditions for infusions; some sources claim that heat and light are good, while others claim that a cool, dark place is optimum. One thing that all sources have in common is the necessity of agitation; to supply this requirement, I've made some magnetic stirrers out of old computer parts. (Hopefully they won't catch on fire.

4. Infusion time. This is a bit of a doozy - fruit apparently varies all over the place in recommended infusion time, and spices can infuse in anywhere from a week to a month. Furthermore, leaving fruit in the liqueur for too long is supposed to make it quite bitter - I'm not sure why.

By pureeing the fruit, I'm hopefully eliminating the problem of the interior of a fruit being exposed to alcohol far less than the interior, requiring the fruit to be removed before all flavor is extracted - I'm not sure how well this will work, and won't find out for a few weeks. If anyone could help me figure out a chart of recommended minimum and maximum infusion times for different substances, that would be dandy.

5. Alcohol content. From what I understand, the primary benefit of using alcohol for flavor extraction of the solubility of the many essential oils and organic compounds that give flavor and aren't commonly found in juices. By infusing into a small quantity of high-proof alcohol and and diluting, the efficiency of flavor absorbtion, especially from things like coffee or citrus zest where all the flavor is from water-insoluble oils, should hopefully be improved over infusing into a lower-proof alcohol solution. However, this does allow for the possibility of oversaturation of the solution, slowing the diffusion of further flavor.

So...should I infuse coffee into everclear, or am I better off with standard vodka?

Thanks for the help.

Some say that using 40% alc is fine. Others say that you need at least 50% alc to get full extraction from the fruits. I usually stick with diluting Everclear to 50%. However, since you are doing coffee, I might say 40%.

The only coffee based liqueur I've made is a 44:

Liqueur 44

* 1 orange
* 44 coffee beans
* 44 sugar cubes
* 1 litre 40% alcohol

Make 44 cuts in the orange and insert the 44 coffee beans. Place in a jar with 44 sugar cubes and cover with the alcohol. Drink after 44 days.
____

It came out great, and the taste of the coffee was slight.

However, the best way to find out would be to scale down your recipe and try it with both a 40% and a higher proof, and see which gives the flavor you want.

Good luck!

I"ve seen some tests done using charcoal filters and cheap vodka to produce a vodka that was as good as the top-top shelf spirits out there, so I do think you're on the right track...
however they also found the amount of filtering (4-5 times through charcoal) practically ate up the savings of the cheaper alcohol.

I"ve seen some tests done using charcoal filters and cheap vodka to produce a vodka that was as good as the top-top shelf spirits out there, so I do think you're on the right track...
however they also found the amount of filtering (4-5 times through charcoal) practically ate up the savings of the cheaper alcohol.

That's because they were using Brita filters. Activated charcoal is about $1.50 a charge, and I suspect I'll get more than one bottle through it.

Limoncello is immensly easy, and you can experiment with different types of citrus, as long as you give it the time it needs to really develop the flavors. I did about 2 lbs. of regular lemons, a couple of bitter oranges, and about 4 meyer lemons.
Tossed the citrus into a boiling water bath for about a minute just to make sure any waxy coating and/or unwanted funk was removed from the skin
Grated the zest on a box grater, careful to avoid the white pith inside
Tossed the zest into a sanitized glass storage jar with a hinge type lid (like a Grolsch bottle) - bottle I picked up at a local bargian store
Covered with Big Bottle of Vodka - used a mid-grade Polish vodka (not the cheapest stuff, but also not Stoli)
Set in dark cabinet for 4 weeks.
Once it got to the right color, I had to tweak the amount of simple syrup to add so that it wasn't cloyingly sweet, but was something beyond citrus vodka.
I think what I came up with was a 1/3 symple syrup to 2/3 citrus vodka - but YMMV

I suppose you could also do the same process to make a key lime "limoncello" that would make lovely summer cocktails, or a similar type of infusion with fresh ginger.

I just followed the same basic principal I learned from reading all the homebrewing guidelines. Cleanliness, patience, and experimentation. :)

Out of curiosity, where did you obtain the bitter orange? I love that flavor.

Also, is there a reason you need to sanitize the jar? Vodka is a pretty efficient disinfectant, and everclear - which, I'm told by a chef, allows for much faster dispersal of the essential lemon oils - is good enough for medical use.

I'll probably end up diluting the end result a fair bit; I like my alcohol pretty weak and not terribly sweet. On the other hand, grapefruit peels aren't too expensive, and you get to eat the grapefruit. :D

Pin Grid Array?
"pure grain alcohol" aka everclear. or crystal springs. or whatever your local rotgut provider calls it.:mug: the lemon stuff is ok I guess. but im not a fan of liquor really. i'll sip a neat whiskey/burbon/rum/scotch, but thats about it. well, besides beer of course:rockin:

My mom taught me how to make a cordial called "Cherry Bounce".
Here are the basics.

5 pounds of pitted, stemmed cherries.
2.5 pounds of sugar
corn whiskey, or bourbon.

canning jars, demijohn's or whatever you want to age it in.
Age for six months time.

you can spice it up or keep it straight. Aging for more than 3 years is a waste of good booze.

cheers.

booze 101:

take booze
add some junk to it
sample, modify, confirm.
repeat!
name, preferably yours, and hopefully you'll get it right (yeah, there's a story).

booze 102:

take cheap vodka, and don't bother filtering (unless you take the next class).
add:
blended blackberries, and pour the soak into a Chambourd bottle.
sugar-boiled grapefruit rinds (or WHOLE, blended, fruit), and pour into ANY bottle.
fruit of choice, prepared how you like, into an airtight SOMETHING.

booze 103:

enjoy.
(looking for instructors)

p.s. I aged them, too. by 4:30 pm, we were drinking vintage two o'clock.

= = = =
<salt>
grain of salt
</salt>

HA! :)

booze 101:

take booze
add some junk to it
sample, modify, confirm.
repeat!
name, preferably yours, and hopefully you'll get it right (yeah, there's a story).
a guy that I work with does this with cinnamon sticks. its interesting. only makes it around christmas time though

results of an experiment: got a free 50ml bottle of evan williams "honey". it was way too sweet. i bought a 1.75l of old crow whiskey, filtered it 4 times, added the remainder of the ewh (about 40ml) and about 1/3 oz of pure vanilla. i keep some good vanilla extract around for some things--i.e. watkins "madagascar bourbon". --used that, but probably not a big deal. i was pleasantly surprised. not as good as a good brandy, of-course, but pretty good sipping.

My mom taught me how to make a cordial called "Cherry Bounce".
Here are the basics.

5 pounds of pitted, stemmed cherries.
2.5 pounds of sugar
corn whiskey, or bourbon.

canning jars, demijohn's or whatever you want to age it in.
Age for six months time.

you can spice it up or keep it straight. Aging for more than 3 years is a waste of good booze.

cheers.

We call that Moonshine Cherries here in East Tn.!!

One thing I've learned is not to use Volkov. It tastes like crap. Next time, I use everclear - it's not worth the $4.

Also, the whole "removing the fruit" thing is a waste of good liqueur. I just throw all the ingredients for a fruit liqueur in a blender and liquefy. After infusing, I remove the solids with a jelly bag. The fruit generally tastes awful, but the extracted liqueur tastes just fine.

My results so far have been:

-Bitter orange liqueur made from store-bought bitter orange peel and a bit of clementine zest. It worked nicely, but there was too much pith in the peel - it made it bitter. Next time, I buy proper zest. It's nice with tonic, though.

-Clementine liqueur. Tastes too sharp, but a few months in the cellar should fix that.

-Ginger liqueur. Works great - .75 ounces of grated ginger per cup of vodka. I added a bit of sugar and bourbon after letting it infuse for two weeks, and it was pretty nice. Next time, I'll try rum instead, or maybe just use honey in place of the sugar.

-Cinnamon liqueur. I added a little bit of nutmeg in the current batch to help round out the flavor - I may have overdone it with 1/4 teaspoon. Next time, I'll use proper cinnamon instead of cassia, but the results have been impressive even with the cheaper stuff. Tastes great on chocolate ice cream.

-Dried cherry liqueur. I hate it, but my father loves it, so he got a bottle as a fathers' day present. I might add a few in to deepen the flavor of a fresh dark cherry liqueur - there's a very strong cherry peel flavor.

Currently in the works are:
-Blackberry brandy. I followed the homebrewunderground recipe, and I have to say that I'd have used more blackberries (though the frozen ones I used were probably kinda crappy.) In any case, it tasted like cough syrup after a month of infusion, though the more it ages, the better it tastes. Or maybe I'm just getting used to the cough syrup.

-Cranberry liqueur. I'm using the Gunther Anderson recipe, though I'm adding sugar AFTER I strain out the fruit - the sugar jams up the filter cloth something fierce.

-Limecello. So far, I've got 40 grams of lime zest in 2.5 cups of everclear, and it's a dark olive green. I'll give it a few more weeks and mix it with a dilute sugar syrup to get it down to 40 proof. It should be pretty nice.

-Chocolate liqueur: This one is just dutched cocoa powder and everclear, which I'll dilute later. So far, I've got what appears to be a layer of chocolate fat on top of a surprisingly stable suspension of the cocoa in the liquid - I was originally planning to take it out, but I'm thinking of just leaving it in. A trick I learned for removing fat from a liqueur is to put it in the freezer, then run it through a coarse strainer: The fat turns to a solid, wheras the alcohol is still a liquid.

-Cherry liqueur: I'm once again using the homebrewunderground recipe, though I've reduced the water content via substituting some of the vodka with everclear. I might make it again with less crappy alcohol - unlike most of the others, it's easy to taste it over the cherry. Hopefully this will change with time and sweetening.

What I'm planning to do is:
-Triple Sec. I'm getting some proper bitter orange zest, and will likely be using a 50:50 ratio of brandy to vodka. It should be pretty nice.
-Orangecello.
-Grapefruitcello. (Notice a pattern?)
-Creme de Menthe, hopefully using some mint that doesn't taste like Doublemint Gum. Maybe catnip?
-Pear liqueur. Most recipes for this using vodka are regarded as a bit weak, so I'm going to use everclear instead to reduce the water content of the final product. I might also add in a bit of dried pear.
-Apricot brandy. I'm going to use Trader Joe's dried apricots for this, as they're much better than the fresh ones I get around here.
-Crabapple liqueur. Crabapples are free!
-Dark cherry liqueur....if I can find decent black cherries at a not-ridiculous price.
-Pepper vodka.

love the flavor of benedictine. used to buy a small bottle to go with my cheap brandy and make a poorman's b&b. it's made with about a zillion herbs and spices and of course has a cognac base. it's $30 now for small bottle. there is an essence being sold---any experience with such things?

Hello all from the Philippines,
I'm trying to do some Liqueurs here (just started) and Vodka is very cheap, regardless of the brand. My biggest problem is getting any kind of glass containers, so I'm wondering about plastic beer bottles for making and storing the finished product. If anyone has tried them, please comment.

I made some limencello on a budget for wedding favors. 2 fifths of Everclear then 3 handles of cheap vodka.

Zested 100 Lemons....(yup you read that right) then let it steep in one of my bottling buckets for a couple months. then added a simple syrup, ABV ended up at roughly 30% so it could be put in a freezer but not stupid strong. turned out great. bottled them in corked delabled cornita bottles. had one of the extras with some friends for dinner a month ago and was really smooth, and its had another month in bottles to age. think I spent about 80 bucks total (including 2 cases of cornita) ended up with 40 7oz bottles.

ended up juicing the lemons, and was going to use them for cooking and lemonade....then I read the skeeterpee thread...and I just don't know what happend to all that lemon juice, but I have a couple cases of skeeter pee also to serve at the wedding lmao

Back