Good beers to ferment at high temperature?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer1222

Reaction score
What kind of beers (if any) will ferment well at 75-80 degrees?

Due to travel etc I have to leave the primary for 2-3 weeks at a time alone in the house.

What kind of beers (if any) will ferment well at 75-80 degrees?

Due to travel etc I have to leave the primary for 2-3 weeks at a time alone in the house.

Do you use liquid yeasts? I recommend Wyeast Abbey II (it's Belgian as the previous poster recommended).
I made two beers with it at high temps this summer and both are delicious!
-Andy

belgians mmmmmm
x1000 if you like belgians yeast flavor they will be great at that temp. As posted before a Saison would be great and probably still ready before it gets cold if that's a problem

I'm waiting for the next heat wave to hit to start my saison. Garage is on the shady side of the house, but it will stay at 85 all day which is perfect.

Dang, wish I researched that before starting my last batch. I assumed nothing would do well in the higher temps. I need to look into that. Glad I read this post.

don't forget you'll be adding 10* with the fermentation process...

i.e. start at room temp of 75* and end up at 85* during active fermentation....

you can use a swamp bath to cool it back down ...

Yaahh.... y'know. My saison liked a room temperature of 85. Although, there are different saison strands of yeast, which probably like different temperature ranges. It consistently wouldn't start fermenting until it reached 85F room temp, and would stop when the room fell below 80F.

Yaahh.... y'know. My saison liked a room temperature of 85. Although, there are different saison strands of yeast, which probably like different temperature ranges. It consistently wouldn't start fermenting until it reached 85F room temp, and would stop when the room fell below 80F.

I fermented mine at 75, and had to swirl the fermenter a couple times to get the yeast back into suspension. it fermented out in 3 weeks. I used White Labs Belgian Saison.

Does anyone have an extract or mini mash Saison recipe they would like to share or point me in the direction of? I know there are a few out there, but i was looking for one that someone could give a recommendation for and possibly be on the higher end of the ABV scale for the style.

I fermented mine at 75, and had to swirl the fermenter a couple times to get the yeast back into suspension. it fermented out in 3 weeks. I used White Labs Belgian Saison.

Cool. Even with swirling mine refused to do anything until the room hit 85. Albeit, once it got solidly going it has kept on fermenting. It is now quite happy, but slowing down, bubbles maybe once every 15 seconds.

I started with White Labs Belgian Saison Ale WLP565 for two weeks. It consistently stopped fermenting below 80F room temperature and would not restart until 85F room temperature. I checked the SG repeatedly and it was not changing when it dropped under 80F for over a week. *sigh*

I then pitched Wyeast Belgian Saison 3724 (why not, might just make a funky beer, but whatever), and it didn't really want to start until it got over 85F either. However, pitching it coincided with a massive heatwave that kept it between 80F and 85F in its special place. Since then the temperature has dropped back down to 70F and it is still going slowly.

Of course, I now have no idea which of those two yeasts is winning or the predominant yeast. However, I do know it tastes good!

I'm relatively new to brewing, and all of my brews have fermented, secondary, and bottle conditioned around 75 degrees. they've all turned out great. Just keep the light off your primary/secondary/bottles, and you should be fine. I've brewed a raspberry wheat, american amber, english brown, and a Pale Ale, and they've turned out just fine for me and my friends/family!!!

Just about anything using Belgian yeast strains.

Back