Sooo.....I have a unique problem with priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelBastard

Reaction score
Ok, so long story short I messed up and used way too much priming sugar in my latest batch of porter. I was supposed to use about 3/4 cup for my 5 gal batch and I.....um...accidentally used about 2 cups. I've already had one explode on me and tried to open another one that ended up in me taking a beer bath. Is there anything I can do to save this batch? Any advise would help. Thanks :)

You're going to have to open them or they will all explode.

How do you accidentally use two cups?

Yikes...already had one explode? That means there's no telling how many others are ready to go if you so much as look at them wrong. If you're feeling really brave and have a face shield, welding gloves, and winter parka, you could go through venting the pressure off of each bottle, then crimping it closed again. Still, 2 cups is a lot. They might decide to blow up anyway.

Freezing them is not that bad of an idea maybe.

You're going to have to open them or they will all explode.

How do you accidentally use two cups?

The short version? Not paying enough attention while I was bottling and using a packet of sugar I thought was pre-measured. Turns out it wasn't

That will do it.

The freezer will halt the yeast from making more CO2, but they will still be way over-carbonated. You may be able to vent enough gas and then recap, but it's still a bit of a crap shoot to get the carbonation levels right.

With two cups, they will be difficult and hazardous to salvage. Venting and recapping would have to be repeated many times with this sort of overpressure. You could try pouring them back into a fermenter (very gently) and let them ferment out there, but you'll likely introduce considerable oxidation and risk the bottles blowing up in your face as you handle them.

In the interest of your health, I'd write them off and dispose of them safely.

EDIT: And get a scale - priming sugar shouldn't be measured by volume.

Well dang, I was afraid that'd be the answer. Well, better safe than sorry I suppose. Chalk this one up to experience and move on

Haha, we'll they are all in the trash. Ended up having another 6 or so bottles explode while transporting/dumping them in my recycle bin outside. That was quite the experience, I think my neighbors thought I was shooting at coyotes every time one exploded.

At least it's done and noone was hurt. Haha, man I feel stupid

With two cups, they will be difficult and hazardous to salvage. Venting and recapping would have to be repeated many times with this sort of overpressure. You could try pouring them back into a fermenter (very gently) and let them ferment out there, but you'll likely introduce considerable oxidation and risk the bottles blowing up in your face as you handle them.

In the interest of your health, I'd write them off and dispose of them safely.

If a recipe calls for 3/4 of a cup of priming sugar,whats that in weight?

Too bad about your brew. It always makes us sad when a beer dies a premature death. :(
Rest in peace beer.

This is the first time I've had to dump a brew so it is a little hard but that's ok. I still have about 20 left over from my last batch that should tide me over until my IPA is online. This weekend I'm going to brew up another porter to replace this batch and I'm kind of excited because I'm going to try to add chocolate this time around (first time playing around with that). I was planning on doing that with my next batch, this just moves up the start date on that by a few weeks. So, sad yes, but no worries :mug:

If a recipe calls for 3/4 of a cup of priming sugar,whats that in weight?

Don't trust a recipe on how much priming sugar to use. The amount depends on how much CO2 is already dissolved in the beer, which depends on temperature. That recipe doesn't know the temperature of your beer, and indeed it doesn't know jack.

Try an online calculator like this one. The Beer Recipator - Carbonation

5 ounces is indeed the average amount that comes in a kit but for most beers it is too much. That is the most I've ever used and I only used that much back when I was just following kit instructions.

I generally use 4 ounces (by weight) of priming sugar in a 5 gallon batch. I like to double check with a priming calculator though, just to make sure that will work ok.

I have only bottled one other time and i used the packet my kit came with I did measure it out though and it came with just a little over 3/4 cup. I clicked on the link above and it wants to know desired CO2 just wondering what I need to put in there. Thanks

Hey OP I don't mean to be persnickety but did you leave any bottles in that bin in "bomb" condition or did you uncap them all? I'd hate to think of some homeless guy or a kid going trashpicking and getting a faceful of glass...

I have only bottled one other time and i used the packet my kit came with I did measure it out though and it came with just a little over 3/4 cup. I clicked on the link above and it wants to know desired CO2 just wondering what I need to put in there. Thanks

The Styles drop-down at the top has it listed for you. Find the style of your brew in the drop-down and the recomended volumes for that style are listed. IE: American Amber Ale: 2.2 - 2.8 means 2.2 - 2.8 volumes of CO2 for an American Amber Ale.

The Styles drop-down at the top has it listed for you. Find the style of your brew in the drop-down and the recomended volumes for that style are listed. IE: American Amber Ale: 2.2 - 2.8 means 2.2 - 2.8 volumes of CO2 for an American Amber Ale.

Just to reiterate this, the drop down menu has a suggested range of carbonation. It is measured in volumes of dissolved CO2. Pick a value within the range. If you want it on the fizzy side pick the top value, etc.

Can you tell me how much weight of sugar should be used for a 5 gallon batch. It's almost bottling time for my first batch and I'd like to know. TIA

:mug:

Edit - Sorry. Jumped the gun before I went to the second page of the thread. DOH!

Don't trust a recipe on how much priming sugar to use. The amount depends on how much CO2 is already dissolved in the beer, which depends on temperature. That recipe doesn't know the temperature of your beer, and indeed it doesn't know jack.

Try an online calculator like this one. The Beer Recipator - Carbonation

I'm doing a strawberry wheat,it says a wiezen needs between 6-10 oz of sugar,that seems way high. doesnt it?

I'm doing a strawberry wheat,it says a wiezen needs between 6-10 oz of sugar,that seems way high. doesnt it?

Yes...want me to double check your numbers?
Post your desired volumes, batch size, beer temp at bottling, at type of sugar.

I just did a test run and I think the problem is that it is recommending 3.6-4.5 volumes for a weizen. That's a lot (too much I think) for many bottles. American wheat according to BJCP 08 is 2.3-2.6 volumes. I keg but if I had to set a cap on volumes of CO2 in a bottle I wouldn't go above 3, but that's probably a very safe number.

Back