AM drinking...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have some local bars that open early for third shift workers, nothing like a bunch of drunk cops and nurses in the early AM.

+1!!! in my medic days, I worked almost exclusively overnight, and my partner and I could often be found at the local hole with bacon and cheese omelets and Guinness at hand (along with a good smattering of cops, ER nurses, firefighters, etc...)

Yeah Waldo, I'm an RN and just got off work and went to Rudy's BBQ with the crew for some breakfast tacos and beer!! Awesome.

my job has no set hours. i'm on call 24-7-365. when i put off at my home terminal i'm home for at least 10 hours. i remember getting off work around 9:30am one morning and stopping my o charlies around 11:00am and getting a l.i.t. the waitress looked at me like i was nuts!!

i drink in the mornings,afternoon,evenings and nights. for me anytime is a good time as long as i am at home or have a driver with me.

Ah, when I worked for a company that had offices there, the fond memories of landing in Munich at 8 am their time and having a Hefe at the brewery in the airport, and then a Franzikaner at the hotel. ....

In Europe many wouldn't give it a second thought. It's just a silly assumption that one whom consumes alcohol in the morning must have a problem.

Heck, my girlfriend and I when we do brunch at our Granite City we go specifically at 11am so we can get our mugs with brunch. It's such a novelty. It's fun to see the prudes shocked at such a thing. :mug:

"In Spain they wouldn't dream about starting the day without a couple of cans and maybe a vodka"

When I showed up for work my first day in Germany I drove up and saw all of these construction workers around 8:30am taking a break to have a monster sized can of beer.

In Belgium when we would all go down for a morning coffee the German soldiers would come down and drink beer.

I was jealous! Still am.

m.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell, I was talking to a guy I work with from the UK and it wasn't uncommon for them to have what he called a "pub lunch" on a work day. You can bet beers were involved. Societal standards be damned, do what you please.

I have fond memories of such things when I worked in Germany. On my last day at the company they went out and bought four Kisten of beer and we drank out on the patio. They also had naked boobies on TV over there... we're such prudes here! :)

I work 12 hour night shifts as an ICU nurse. Several of my coworkers and I regularly hit the local taco stand for tacos and beer after work. There's nothing like a tall cold one to get rid of the stress of a difficult night and put you right to get a good day's worth of sleep.

The hardest thing with working night shift is not getting to sleep it's staying asleep. I find benadryl and beer a good prescription for a good rest.

I don't see what the big deal is considering 8am is your wind down time. How could anyone not be able to draw the connection between your schedule, and their schedule? You should fire back with "you never have a beer after work?" and look at them like they are f-ing crazy.

what it comes down to is... It is your "technical" night time. you just got off of work and want a beer. it's just like any 9 to 5er, only your clock is backwards.
i used to work the night shift as well, and it was actually quite fun to get off work, go home, open a beer or pour a GnT and watch the sun rise.

I worked rotating shift for about 15 years. When on Nights, we used to get out at 7am . We'd go to breakfast then hit the local pub for a few.

We usually got to the pub before 8am. They wouldn't be open. There would be about a dozen of us standing around waiting for them to open.

The old folks walking down the street to get their grocery's in the morning used to give us strange looks. They must have thought we needed something in a brown bag :) lol

I don't work night shifts and I don't have a problem to have a beer at 8 am if I get up at 7 am. Some others might, but I just don't care what other say. I love my beer any time of a day and I can easily have it for breakfast, especially if I have a hangover from drinking vodka the night before. Hour later I'm back in business and feel great. I'm not alcoholic either, by the way

Back