I broke my shut-off valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerMcAllen

Reaction score
I got a shut-off valve and Y piece so that I could split the output on my CO2 regulator.
NORTHERN BREWER: Gas Hardware (part #K038)

When I went to unscrew the existing shut-off valve from my regulator, I gripped it from the MPT end thinking that the valve was one solid piece. To my surprise, the MPT end screwed off, and the threads were full of a hard red compound. I cleaned the threads since I knew the broken red stuff would never seal, and tried putting it back on assuming that the teflon washer and steel ball would make a good seal without the threads being glued into place. This was not the case, and I have a pretty good size leak whenever the valve is open.

I'm assuming the red stuff was some sort of thread lock to seal the threads since the teflon washer/ball valve doesn't seem to be doing the trick. What should I use?

Get some thread tape from a hardware store. Costs about a buck, it's used to seal copper compression fittings, can be found in or around the plumbing isle.

Back