Did i screw up my carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlager

Reaction score
I kegged a couple beers right before I left on a two week vacation. I thought it would be a good idea to throw some oxyclean into each glass carboy, and let them soak while I was gone. I left the carboys in my garage, which is currently pretty darn hot since I live in Scottsdale, AZ. When I returned, I went to go scrub them with my carboy brush, and the oxy clean seems to have done a great job of crusting onto the inside of the carboy, to the point the carboy brush does nothing. It looks like little particles of salt all over the inside. What are my options now? Bleach?

Any suggestions would be great, i know the grit comes off because i was able to use my finger to scrape it off the inside of the neck of the carboy, but that doesnt do me much good since i cant get my hands inside of it :)

Thx, Matt

We call it scale, usually a week acid solution like vinegar and water, lemon juice and water, even a dillution of starsan and water usually breaks it down.

If that doesn't work, try clr....but if you mix a high concentration of lemon juice and water, it should take care of it.

now im guessing its do to you using tap water with your oxyclean, or would RO water and oxyclean yield the same effect?

-=Jason=-

Revvy, thanks for the tips, I'm going to give that a try and see how it works. Doesn't sound like I ruined it, just made my life harder :)

Happens to me when I soak bottles in oxyclean to delabel them, and I forget them for awhile, as the water in the solution evaporates the oxyclean tends to harden and crystalize on glass. But it does come off.

Back