Two Hearted IPA: min/ max aging time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_g08

Reaction score
Hello. I am looking to brew a THA clone recipe based on the Zymurgy recipe. Looks good.

I anticipate transferring to the keg at about 10-14 days, and counterpressure bottling as soon as adequately clear (prob at day 21, with gelatin assistance).
This beer will be given away for Christmas. I want it to be at its flavor peak on 12/25 or thereabouts.

Any thoughts on minimum/maximum aging for an IPA like this? I know the hop aroma fades fast, so I don’t want to brew too soon.

Thanks,

I think IPAs are best only a few days after it finishes carbing. I would brew it the first week of dec / last week of nov

I'm going to throw out a contrary opinion - I prefer IPAs at about 6-8 weeks brewing. Fresh, but not too young/green. I would brew first weekend in Nov.

Just out of curiosity, how are you dry hopping this and are you taking that time into account? If I remember right, this recipe has a 7 day dry hop.

the yeast is a factor, not sure what your using but a high flocculating yeast can condition faster than a med or low on an ipa and it really depends on how clear you want it but my general rule on an ipa is 7 to 10 fermenting, + your dry hop time, then 3 cold settling, 3 gelatin, 7 carbing and 2 weeks drinking and one day to say I need to brew that again

I agree that Two Hearted clones taste best right after carbonation is complete. Bells isn't all that clear right out their bottle so I don't worry about clearing or adding a clearing agent. I've always done 2 weeks primary, 10-14 days secondary with dry hops and usually 3 weeks for bottle conditioning. I use yeast harvested from Bells Two hearted and try to ferment mid to upper 60s temp.

Back