E/SE Nebraska Group Buy June/July 2014

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfgoat

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Per Tre9er:

Guys, having issues with the BrewBuys website, but I don't want to hold things up. I'm guessing Rich has better things to do than tweak a website he built for free, but I haven't heard from him, so I'm just speculating.

At any rate, we'll do this "the hard way". Here is a link to a spreadsheet with prices. Look it over and then reply to me with an "initial" rough-draft order. When you do this I'll create you your own sheet in the doc and send you the link. At that point you can play with your order to your heart's content, or at least until the buy closes.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1r3V68wfmbrvewgppNlPLUIL82zIsuvmjuLZwdL3g2Jw/edit?usp=sharing

If there's anything you desire that's not on this sheet, let me know. Chances are I can get it. We toyed with the idea of hops, but keep in mind we'd need to order 11 lbs. of ONE variety, not mix-and-match to 11 lbs. If enough of you want the same hops, maybe it makes sense. Probably have to be a bittering hop that everyone would use frequently. In case that makes sense, here's what's available (let's not get into pricing until enough people can agree on one hop):

Oh, I also failed to mention shipping will be coming down $20 per pallet, too. Every little bit helps. So that's $120/pallet in freight now, about $3/bag

The OIO flaked grains in the 55lb. bags offer a significant savings for some varieties. Some aren't better, but some are. Pay attention there, if you use enough flaked wheat or rye, etc. it might make sense to go ahead and get the big bag.

We'll take this slow, so just keep brewing and take note of what you're running low on. We wouldn't place an order until late June unless the thing fills up right away. Otherwise, no rush. Let's get two pallets so we meet the pricing requirements.

:mug:

As far as the hops goes I know I would be down fora few pounds each of centennial, Magnum, Willamette, EKG and cascade if we can garner enough of a split to justify it.

Tre, any idea on the pricing of the hops?

Id be up for a few bags of stuff along with a couple splits. The only hops I'd be up for would be cascade and centennial.

I'd also do a pound of each Cascade and Centennial...Maybe Fuggles or Hallertaur too depending on demand.
Think I have too much grain to justify more at this time, though.

Would bulk hops be leaf or pellet?

I'm 99% certain they're pellet. More shelf-stable that way, and we're talking brewery-supply here, that's the wholesaler's business model.

In terms of prices, we're looking at around $10/lb. for something like Magnum (bittering), $9/lb. for Nugget (one of my favs), your german Tettnang would be $12/lb, NZ Pac Gem looking like $13.50/lb., and Styrian Celeia (Golding 'C') is $11/lb.

Like I said, if you guys can agree on a variety, even without committing to buying it, I can give you a price for it (if it's not listed above). There are a lot of hops, and the pricing is odd, so I haven't taken the time to put it all down. Many are sold out for 4 years, too :eek:

I'd also do a pound of each Cascade and Centennial...

Both sold out for 2 years, in the bulk-pricing world, that is. Hallertauer, and U.S. Fuggle too. Can get UK Fuggle for $12/lb, though.

See, the hops rarely make sense unless you can get a handful of guys to agree on a variety AND to purchasing 2-3lbs. each.

I'm 99% certain they're pellet. More shelf-stable that way, and we're talking brewery-supply here, that's the wholesaler's business model.

In terms of prices, we're looking at around $10/lb. for something like Magnum (bittering), $9/lb. for Nugget (one of my favs), your german Tettnang would be $12/lb, NZ Pac Gem looking like $13.50/lb., and Styrian Celeia (Golding 'C') is $11/lb.

Like I said, if you guys can agree on a variety, even without committing to buying it, I can give you a price for it (if it's not listed above). There are a lot of hops, and the pricing is odd, so I haven't taken the time to put it all down. Many are sold out for 4 years, too :eek:

Already showing decent interest on centennial and cascade. Can we get a price on those or are they part of the sold out group?

Id be up for a few bags of stuff along with a couple splits. The only hops I'd be up for would be cascade and centennial.

HMU on email or post here what you are tentatively interested in, and I'll create you a sheet to play around with until the order closes.

Already showing decent interest on centennial and cascade. Can we get a price on those or are they part of the sold out group?

This is what's available, and I'd need to confirm once we decide on one:

Domestic: Ahtanum, Bravo, Brewer's Gold, Cluster, Galena, US Golding, Horizon, US Magnum, Millenium, Newport, US Northern Brewer, Nugget, Palisades, Santiam, US Tettnang, Vanguard, Warrior, Willamette, Zythos

Imported: Australian: Helga, Ringwood, Ella, Summer, Sylva, Topaz
Germany: Magnum, Smaragd, Spalt Select, Tettnanger, Hallertauer Hersbrucker, Herkules, Merkur, Opal
NZ: Green Buller, Wakatu, Pac Gem, Southern Cross
UK: Challenger, EKG, WGV, First Gold, Northdown, Phoenix, Pilgrim, Progress, Fuggle

This is what's available, and I'd need to confirm once we decide on one:

Domestic: Ahtanum, Bravo, Brewer's Gold, Cluster, Galena, US Golding, Horizon, US Magnum, Millenium, Newport, US Northern Brewer, Nugget, Palisades, Santiam, US Tettnang, Vanguard, Warrior, Willamette, Zythos

Imported: Australian: Helga, Ringwood, Ella, Summer, Sylva, Topaz
Germany: Magnum, Smaragd, Spalt Select, Tettnanger, Hallertauer Hersbrucker, Herkules, Merkur, Opal
NZ: Green Buller, Wakatu, Pac Gem, Southern Cross
UK: Challenger, EKG, WGV, First Gold, Northdown, Phoenix, Pilgrim, Progress, Fuggle

Wow, that's a slim list. Is there another hop shortage I don't know about?

Wow, that's a slim list. Is there another hop shortage I don't know about?

The stuff that's sold out is for spot-purchasing, which we are doing. If we signed a contract to purchase X lbs. of hops over the next Y years, they might be available, but I've not wanted to get into that kind of commitment.

The stuff that's sold out is for spot-purchasing, which we are doing. If we signed a contract to purchase X lbs. of hops over the next Y years, they might be available, but I've not wanted to get into that kind of commitment.

Oh, well that makes sense.

I can do German Magnum for $9/lb, might be our best deal and decent for bittering. Same price for Millenium, Galena ($8.50) and Cluster. Bravo $9/lb.

Whatever hop you guys decide on, I'm in for some, too. Hell, I'll buy 5-8lbs. if someone wants 3-6lbs. or splits it.

Also, fruit purees in 49oz. cans are available, prices:

APRICOT $ 14.00
BLACKBERRY $ 15.00
BLUEBERRY $ 15.00
CHERRY $ 16.00
PEACH $ 11.00
RASPBERRY $ 22.00

I'm from Kearney, I don't see anything more local, would I be welcome to order with you guys, I haven't seen anything more local. If so, how often do you facilitate group buys?

I'm from Kearney, I don't see anything more local, would I be welcome to order with you guys, I haven't seen anything more local. If so, how often do you facilitate group buys?

Yeah you can join and pick up from me after pick up. We do it about every six months or so.

Also, if you're not getting the emails on this buy, PM me your email and I'll add you to the list.

What grain are you looking at? Trying to get the early numbers together here.

So far we decided to get the magnum and UK fuggle hops . Tre is picking up 8lbs of the magnum and 7lbs of the fuggle so far. If anyone else wants to get in on it to reduce his commitment let him know.

I'd also do a pound of each Cascade and Centennial...Maybe Fuggles or Hallertaur too depending on demand.
Think I have too much grain to justify more at this time, though.

So a pound of Fuggles then?

Last thing (maybe:D )

Almost forgot to mention Candi syrups, brewer's sugars, rock candy, etc. Let me know if interested.

all of this talk of hops is great and all, but we need to get the grain order up to par before this is happening, ya'll dig? Order a bag, split a bag, I'm sure there's something ya need or will before the next buy. Winter is cold, you don't want to be making trips to the LHBS around the Holidays. Or what if it's Sunday and it's closed?!? :D

all of this talk of hops is great and all, but we need to get the grain order up to par before this is happening, ya'll dig? Order a bag, split a bag, I'm sure there's something ya need or will before the next buy. Winter is cold, you don't want to be making trips to the LHBS around the Holidays. Or what if it's Sunday and it's closed?!? :D

I always want to order more during these things but I've only brewed twice since the last one because I've been so busy with work. As I get to brewing more I'll add to the order but really I probably won't order as much as I usually do this time.

I always want to order more during these things but I've only brewed twice since the last one because I've been so busy with work. As I get to brewing more I'll add to the order but really I probably won't order as much as I usually do this time.

I was talking more the people who have thus-far just ordered hops, or said they'd take a few bags, but didn't say which! :mug:

What grain are you looking at? Trying to get the early numbers together here.

The cheapest 2 row for sure, possibly maris otter. Id be down for half splits of white wheat/munich light/Vienna/carapils. Possibly 3-4 way splits of chocolate/roasted barley/midnight wheat/carafa III/carared

How much exactly I would want is completely dependent on the splits....

The cheapest 2 row for sure, possibly maris otter. Id be down for half splits of white wheat/munich light/Vienna/carapils. Possibly 3-4 way splits of chocolate/roasted barley/midnight wheat/carafa III/carared

How much exactly I would want is completely dependent on the splits....

Briess 2-row is $32 plus shipping. I'll put you down for a bag of that and a bag of Bairds Maris Otter at $47.

Anyone want to split white wheat, munich 10L, Vienna, Carapils with DPV?

I'll take a bag of 2 row and split Munich, white wheat and carapils. Someone want to split Vienna?

I'll take a bag of 2 row and split Munich, white wheat and carapils. Someone want to split Vienna?

(auctioneer voice)

heywegotsplitsofmunichwhitewheatcarapils whollgivemeasplitofviennanow comeonnowsomeonewantstosplitsomevienna whollsplittheviennanow

We talking Best Malz German on the Munich and Wheat? Or just Briess. I know the guys like the German Munich, especially, and the Vienna...It's only $4-5 for the imported German malt...VERY worth it, IMO

We're about half-way there, weight-wise, to getting the pricing we need. Tell a friend, tell your mom, tell yourself: You need more grain.

I'm cool with German. This is my first group buy, so I will trust your guys judgment. Also wouldn't mind splitting aromatic. You know. Only if someone else was to :)

How many pounds are you guys hoping to get? I am hoping to do a brew soon, and just curious how long you guys thought it would be, I know it is tough to guess, so was hoping maybe to get a poundage goal.

How many pounds are you guys hoping to get? I am hoping to do a brew soon, and just curious how long you guys thought it would be, I know it is tough to guess, so was hoping maybe to get a poundage goal.

2000 lbs is the minimum for bulk pricing. We're at about half that right now, so probably take us until end of June.

I upped my order. I put a half bag of aromatic if someone will split with me that would be great. I need to get to brewing!

Back