Studying for GRE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look around on their website and try to find the free practice exams. When I took the GRE (~5 years ago), there was a way to get a CD with 3 free practice exams on it sent to you, but it could be online by now. Take those exams a few times to get used to what you'll be doing, it'll help.

As for studying, I didn't really study, other than looking over the math stuff the night before. It's certainly not the best method if you're trying to maximize your score. The reason I chose not to was that after speaking with my adviser, I decided that I wanted it more score to more closely reflect my actual ability rather than my studying ability, since when I "study" for things I usually forget everything when the test is over anyway. I really didn't want to get into a school that was too intense for me and burn out. It worked out well for me, but my approach is certainly contrary to the norm.

Practice exams are probably your best bet, since you can get some insight to how they phrase questions.

I got a 2.95 GPA on my bachelors... feel like I'm gonna have to do better than decent. I know could do good off the bat... buuuttt, think I should shoot for something to counteract that GPA a bit.

I used a Kaplan book that seemed to help. I did OK, not great. They just made that math harder this year or something right? I think how well you have to do depends on the type of program you are entering. What field/what level?

The GRE is like the SAT, a lot like the SAT. It is supposed to be one of those test that you can't study for. To make a big difference you need to study a lot. I took it with not studying the math at all and trying to memorize the 100 top words. I did really well on the math and sucked on the verbal but that is OK because I am an engineer. I would recommend working on the writing, I think that is something that you can easily increase your score on by reading their tips. All in all, I think the books are worth it, if you have the cash you could do the classes but I haven't heard of them helping anyone on the GRE (or not helping for that matter).

Probably computer science... but hopefully I can find something better. I'm good at programming but I hate it. I don't want to be stuck doing it forever, so hopefully I can go into interactive/computer design... get me on the more creative end of things.

seefresh said:
Probably computer science... but hopefully I can find something better. I'm good at programming but I hate it. I don't want to be stuck doing it forever, so hopefully I can go into interactive/computer design... get me on the more creative end of things.

So you're talking the general GRE or the CS GRE? The general GRE is a snap. I'm really not bragging here, but I did well just by taking the free practice exam you can get from the GRE site. The CS GRE is murder. If you take it, make sure you brush up on every single CS-related subject: graph theory, theory of computation, computer architecture, operating systems, networks, compiler theory, etc.

If you're applying for a Ph.D. program, then most schools will say that they "strongly suggest" taking the CS GRE, and they mean it (they'll also be impressed with research experience and solid recommendation letters). Most MS programs don't really give a toss about the CS GRE, but the general GRE is a bigger deal.

Good luck!

Back