Comparison of brewing and sensory attributes of Maris maltsters?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows of any comparative trials or studies done on the MO supplied by various malsters - i.e., Fawcett, Simpson, Crisp, Baird's, Warminster, Muntons, etc.

I don't know of anything official. Over the years I've used malted MO from Crisp, Baird's, and Muntons and Baird's is my favorite followed by Crisp and then Muntons. I have used malt from Fawcett and Simpson but it was Golden Promise and lager malt respectfully. Both were excellent BTW.

Good question.
I have gone through 25KG sacks of UK MO from Muntons, Fawcett, Warminster and Dingemans from Belgium.
However I can't say I have ever directly compared them.
I'm sure all are slightly different but I've never thought "this beer tastes ****/wonderful compared to beers I brewed with MO from another maltster"

This thread might be of interest to you.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/difference-between-fawcett-crisp-maris-otter.466563/

Good question.
I have gone through 25KG sacks of UK MO from Muntons, Fawcett, Warminster and Dingemans from Belgium.
However I can't say I have ever directly compared them.
I'm sure all are slightly different but I've never thought "this beer tastes ****/wonderful compared to beers I brewed with MO from another maltster"

This thread might be of interest to you.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/difference-between-fawcett-crisp-maris-otter.466563/
Great, excellent, many thanks.👍

Here's my experience with two maltsters. I use to use Maris occasionally. When I did, I'd buy just what was needed for the recipe from my LHBS. I liked it a lot and decided to up my commitment and start buying it by the sack.

I price shopped around, looking for the cheapest. I found Fawcett cheap from Label Peelers by the sack so that's what I bought. After going through a sack and a half, it dawned on me that the beers that had been great with Maris, were no longer so. So I checked my LHBS and found when they sold Maris, it was Crisp. So I switched brands back to Crisp and that nice Maris flavor came back.

So for me, I definitely don't buy Fawcett any more, I buy Crisp. I don't have experience with the other brands, though.

Here's my experience with two maltsters. I use to use Maris occasionally. When I did, I'd buy just what was needed for the recipe from my LHBS. I liked it a lot and decided to up my commitment and start buying it by the sack.

I price shopped around, looking for the cheapest. I found Fawcett cheap from Label Peelers by the sack so that's what I bought. After going through a sack and a half, it dawned on me that the beers that had been great with Maris, were no longer so. So I checked my LHBS and found when they sold Maris, it was Crisp. So I switched brands back to Crisp and that nice Maris flavor came back.

So for me, I definitely don't buy Fawcett any more, I buy Crisp. I don't have experience with the other brands, though.
Good data point, thanks.

I just brewed my first batch with a bag of Crisp #19 maris otter that I recently bought and I rate it 12 out of 10.

Thanks guys - have 10# each of Crisp, Baird's and Fawcett on Morebeer. Also have 10# Warminster coming from Southern Homebrew, and, well, @day_trippr , far be it for me to hold off on the finest 😆, so looking for some Simpson's, too.

Thanks guys - have 10# each of Crisp, Baird's and Fawcett on Morebeer. Also have 10# Warminster coming from Southern Homebrew, and, well, @day_trippr , far be it for me to hold off on the finest 😆, so looking for some Simpson's, too.

What's your plan; are you going to brew the same recipe with each type of MO and compare?

Back